We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire - Las Vegas to Los Angeles

Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire - Las Vegas to Los Angeles

Hi everyone - great forum. Really helpful.

I am looking at hiring a car for 2 days (1 night). I want to drive from Las Vegas to Los Angeles Airport (LAX). It seems the major rental car companies charge an exorbitant rate to hire a car which you going to drop off in a different location(something like $200 just for this charge). It seems pretty excessive to me. Does anyone know of any smaller or independent car companies (or anything??) that may be a little cheaper than that. Thanks for your help. Look forward to seeing you in Las Vegas!! Thanks, Ben.

Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,706 Reviews
from $399.99*
$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,210 Reviews
from $139.99*
$224.90
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
926 Reviews
from $598.99*
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire - Las Vegas to Los Angeles

A whole lot cheaper if you fly to L.A. on www.southwest.com and rent a car in L.A. returning it to the same place as you picked it up.

Lenny63 posted the following a year ago.

Vehicles booked though the Dollar UK web site, do not carry a drop charge, if picked up and returned, in either California/Nevada/Arizona.

www.dollar.co.uk

Perth
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire - Las Vegas to Los Angeles

Hi Ben,

We are doing the same thing and are also from Aus. I booked on Autoeurope.com.au and there is no drop off fee and you have an all inclusive insurance rate included. I did a search for 2 days and it starts from a total of $133 all up. I hope this helps. Enjoy your holiday.

Belv

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire - Las Vegas to Los Angeles

Hi

We have rented from the UK and dropped off in another state, I'm sure you can do it at no extra cost. In the past we have used Dollar, Alamo and Hertz. Here in the UK I have always found a third party booking agent cheaper than the cars own websites. Have used netflights and ebookers, do you have similar? I checked last night for myself and netflights were at least a third cheaper than anyone else. An average price for us on a full size car is £21 a day all in.

Clive

Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire - Las Vegas to Los Angeles

Hi Everyone - thanks for your responses. I have looked at authoeurope.com and netflights.com and have found that I can get a car for about AUD150 (about USD110). This is a much better deal then I was looking at. Thanks for all your help. See you in Las Vegas!!!

5. Re: Car hire - Las Vegas to Los Angeles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:27 am, October 13, 2009