We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much do you tip the conceirge?

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
how much do you tip the conceirge?

if they make every reservation for you including show tickets, restaurant, special occassion requests etc.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,707 Reviews
from $399.99*
$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,217 Reviews
from $139.99*
$224.90
Grand Canyon 4-in-1 Helicopter Tour
927 Reviews
from $598.99*
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,313 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much do you tip the conceirge?

It depends. Most people don't need a concierge for show tickets, people just book with the theater directly. Ditto for restaurants. No tipping is necessary if the concierge just picks up the phone and makes a quick call to a restaurant for you.

But if they get you into some new place that mere mortals can't get into, and/or tickets to some show that is SRO, then a $10 or $20 tip is appropriate.

Keep in mind they are often earning money on commissions when booking things for you.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
24,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much do you tip the conceirge?

What Irish said.

I generally book direct in Vegas, but the last hotel concierge I used sent flowers to a room. Tipped them $20. $10 would have probably covered it as well.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much do you tip the conceirge?

i normally book things on my own as well, but i am planning a special weekend (filled with surprises) and i will only be there 2 days. I got in touch with the conceirge at encore before their grand opening and gave him a bunch of requests, granted most of those things are "in house" except for show tix so i guess i was planning on tipping way too much especially since i still need to tip the things he made arrangements for...hmmm didn't think of it that way.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
45,463 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much do you tip the conceirge?

Like most, as a general rule I take care of my own reservations. If I were to book a show or dinner reservation over the phone through the concierge at their hotel I probably wouldn't tip. If however I asked for help at another hotel I would.

Our April Anniversary trip I did use the concierge. The Wynn concierge I spoke to a couple of times about a special dinner. Because Alex was dark that night I wanted input. I decided on Alize and had her make the reservation. Not only did she take care of it, but she even requested a specific window table. For her help I sent a $20 tip.

I used our concierge at Skylofts quite a bit. We spoke 3-4 times before arrival. She booked us a cabana (which I later cancelled), arranged for a limo to take us to Lake Las Vegas. After arrival made reservations for dinner and breakfast at the Mansion. And of course, arranged for limo pick-up from Wynn and later to the airport. Because of her fantastic service and because I felt she geniunely cared I left her a $50 tip.

Those are the two things that matter most to me. Service and the impression that they actually care. If I receive this I will always leave a tip.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,313 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much do you tip the conceirge?

"I got in touch with the conceirge at encore before their grand opening and gave him a bunch of requests, granted most of those things are "in house" except for show tix so i guess i was planning on tipping way too much especially since i still need to tip the things he made arrangements for...hmmm didn't think of it that way."

Just to confuse things further lol...in the context of the info you're providing above, re: "lots of requests", I would tip $40 or so at the end of the stay. (I usually put the $$ in an envelope and pass it along that way)

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much do you tip the conceirge?

thanks for your input.

i will leave a tip, not as much as i was thinking originally, i think $20 should manage it, but should i do it upon arrival or checkout. I did speak with him via phone and e-mail several times and said i look forward to meeting him. (that was so he knew i planned on tipping him, so that he would perhaps go the extra mile)

Del Mar, California
Level Contributor
9,250 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how much do you tip the conceirge?

I did concierge work at a few 3.0-3.5 star hotels here in San Diego which were small 200 room hotels(Doubletree, Airport Hilton, ect.) and people usually only asked the concierge for restaurant suggestions, tour and sightseeing suggestions, and driving directions.

I was very lucky to get a $1-$2 tip most of the time. lol

So at smaller standard 3-3.5 star hotels nobody tips the concierge which is pretty normal. I was also a hotel van driver and a bellman also so I made tips doing these jobs. :o)

Acton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how much do you tip the conceirge?

At the V it was $20.00, the guy was really nice.. but he always had skim milk for me in the AM... he was nice and very genuine. He really made me feel special (which I know is his job , but still), he was very nice and always asked if we needed anything.. and he really took care of me!!

Acton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how much do you tip the conceirge?

I think his name was Alfred? Super nice guy...

10. Re: how much do you tip the conceirge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, September 16, 2009