We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stratton's MEGA TR

Boston
Level Contributor
15,129 posts
31 reviews
Stratton's MEGA TR

Might as well get this started. All installments will follow as replies in this thread, so keep checking back. It's probably going to take me a couple of days to do them all.

Background: This was a solo trip, Monday-Saturday June 23-28, whose main purpose was to attend the MEGA meet and greet. I am a single guy in my 30s. I booked my trip as a package deal through US Airways Vacations, 5 nights at Flamingo plus airfare from Boston for $732.

For those of you who haven't read them before, my TRs tend to be long. Consider yourself warned.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
24,950 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Stratton's MEGA TR

Maybe Long, but if you catch the individual pieces, very easy read. Have always enjoyed your reports. Looking forward to more.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
6,957 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Stratton's MEGA TR

'Bout Time...hahaha

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
911 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Stratton's MEGA TR

I am looking forward to this. I agree that your reports are always fun and easy to read.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
4. Re: Stratton's MEGA TR

O.K. you can start now! Looking forward to your long report that I am sure will be fun to read!

London
Level Contributor
607 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Stratton's MEGA TR

looking forward to this...

Boston
Level Contributor
15,129 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Stratton's MEGA TR

PART I: DEPARTURES

To my way of thinking, my trip began at 4:15 AM on Monday, June 23. That's when I had to get up in order to be at the airport in plenty of time for my 6:45 AM flight on USAir. Those of you who recall my airline debacle from my July 07 trip report will understand that I have come to prefer to fly out in the daytime and arrive well before check-in. However, I am not a morning person especially - but you have to make some accommodations in order to get a decent price.

My parents, who are retired live about 25 minutes from me, were kind enough to get up at the same hour to take me to the airport since my housemate had to work. There wasn't much traffic in Boston at 5:30 AM so I arrived without incident. Printed my boarding pass at the little terminal and checked my bag, cleared security without incident. So far, so good.

Unfortunately, as the morning was going on I was starting to feel not so great. Sometimes my digestive system gets unhappy if I have to be up and about much earlier than I'm used to. I was actually afraid I might miss my flight due to my discomfort - I was also a bit concerned because it was a long flight to Phoenix - but by the time I got on the plane I was already feeling better.

All of the planes I flew on this trip were the newer sort, so while I can't call the environment comfy, it wasn't as bad as some of the cramped old planes I've been on in the past. On this flight, I was very lucky because everyone around me was well-behaved and quiet. Even a cattle car isn't so bad if nobody is mooing :) I alternated between reading my book and napping, and I must have got more sleep than I thought because the flight seemed shorter than I expected.

There are only two things that irritate me about USAir. The first is that they insist on showing 15 minutes of commercials to the whole plane before the movie starts. No chance of sleeping through that. The second is that they come around to try to sell you headphones before they come around for drink service. You know what, how about we deal with the possible dehydration of passengers before we worry about the f'ing movie, OK?

Our plane had to wait on the tarmac a bit before taking off. This didn't concern me at the time, but I didn't realize how long it was (maybe 25 minutes) whiel I was reading. The problem was that I only had a 45 minute layover in Phoenix. When we arrived correspondingly late, we were warned that some of our connecting flights may have left. In fact, they specifically said the Vegas flight had left early (?? Since when do flights ever leave early?) Nevertheless, I got off the plane as quickly as possible and looked at the board. It turned out there were TWO flights to Vegas departing at 10 AM - one had left and one was still boarding. (Moral: Don't believe anything they tell you on the plane about connecting flights, ALWAYS check the monitors!)So I ran to the other gate and managed to make the flight I was supposed to be on (hooray!) I figured that because of the tight schedule my luggage probably didn't make it onto the plane with me.

So when I arrived at McCarran after an uneventful hop from Phoenix, the first thing I did after deplaning was ask the airline guy at the gate how I could find out. He said to check with baggage claim, which was the answer I was expecting. Fortunately, we came into terminal A, so I didn't have to deal with the tram and got to baggage claim quickly. I was sure my luggage would not be coming out, but I reasoned that I should at least check before talking with the WTFIML office. To my great surprise, my bag DID make it onto the flight and came right out to me.

This put me in a good mood as I headed out to the taxi line.

NEXT: Part 2 - To the Flamingo

United States
Level Contributor
28,529 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Stratton's MEGA TR

Statton,

Glad you got your bags. That has happened to me many time with those close connections and I would be sure the bags wouldn't make it, but they always seem to make it. I don't how, but they do.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
8. Re: Stratton's MEGA TR

"the WTFIML office"

LOL, I bet they get asked about lost luggage in those precise terms too!

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
24,950 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Stratton's MEGA TR

So far so good. You, the luggage, and your stomach make it to Vegas together in harmony.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
911 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Stratton's MEGA TR

I am so glad that everything is working out so far. I know what you mean about selling the earphones before the drink. At least you got a movie. I have been on several US Airways flights where all I saw were the silly word puzzles....over and over again.