We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Allergies in Las vegas??

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
207 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Allergies in Las vegas??

You folks from the Midwest who suffer allergies can hopefully answer this one for me. Do your allergies get better or worse in Vegas? Normally when we head to Florida (or anyhwere else away from the Cincinnati area) my allergies clear up. Just wondering if I can expect the same in Vegas or if I should pack the Sudafed! Thanks.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Allergies in Las vegas??

The cig smoke, dry air and a/c can really do a number on me so I carry my meds. I have been taking allergy shots since last fall and my most recent trip (in April) was allergy free for the most part. Also big hotels msy have dust (it's impossible not to) which many people have reactions from (raises hand).

But another poster mentioned the neighborhoods---I was out near Summerlin at a farmer's market one visit and the tree pollen was unbelievable there---it looked like my home town, not Las Vegas (trees, grass, non native plants everywhere). So if you are out in the 'burbs you might have some other reactions, depends on what you are allergic to.

Oh and kimmy, that's just bridge's way. Asking a question, however innocent or legit, usually means a snide remark. Most of us ignore it but I agree, if it was my first post, I'd be a little put out by my first reply being so...condescending. As she often reminds us, it is a big world with many opinions ;-).

Royal Oak Mich
Level Contributor
761 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Allergies in Las vegas??

I find that a spa that has a eucalyptus steam room helps rehab my sinuses while in vegas. Unfortunately, once I get back home everything starts up again until winter.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Allergies in Las vegas??

If you are allergic to smoke, as I am, you will have some trouble in Vegas...........please remember to take all your meds with you just in case..........

Paradise
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Allergies in Las vegas??

I become extremely allergic to children and strollers once i touch down in Vegas.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
207 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Allergies in Las vegas??

Thank you everybody (excluding Bridgefan, of course) for your kind & helpful responses! (Kimmy, I agree with you 100%, there is no excuse for Bridgefan's tone. Some people have trouble getting their tone across in emails/chatrooms/forums, but not Bridgefan, she comes thru loud & clear!). I was planning on bringing the saline nasal spray since everybody keeps telling me how dry it is out there. Looks like I need to go stock up on the Sudafed too. Thanks again!

yourstarla
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Allergies in Las vegas??

I didn't read all the responses, save for the first one which put me in the mood to not continuing reading the rest of them, so I'm not sure if anyone mentioned the fact that the very dry air can lead to bloody noses. This happens to my boyfriend and I every time. I don't know if this will affect your allergies, but I wanted you to be aware. :)

Southern Nevada
Level Contributor
137 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Allergies in Las vegas??

vpo3 is right. There are many allergines in the air in southern NV. Grass, various trees pollens, and dust are some you may have encounterd before. But, there is also a lot of pollen from the native desert plants like cassia, ambrosia, sage, mesquite, etc that may cause you discomfort. These, plus the dust on a windy day, can give even the most dedicated indoor gambler the sneezes, running eyes, stuffy head. Also, the very dry air here is what causes the bloody noses. Use saline spray many times a day for that. The eye drops are a good idea. Evey eye doctor in the valley tells every patient to use lubricating eye drops due to the dryness.

Minnesota City...
Level Contributor
3,169 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Allergies in Las vegas??

I don't have allergies. Yet . . . in Las Vegas the air circulation systems drive my sinuses CRAZY! LV is the only place to which I have to carry my Clariton D!

I'd pack it . . . who wants to spend valuable Vegas time at the drugstore?

usa
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Allergies in Las vegas??

dopey1200

I live in the southeast and I suffer from the typical pollens (grass, tree, weeds). I was taking my prescription medication (nasonex, singulair, allergra) before we got to LV. On the second day in LV, my allergies were GONE. I felt like a million bucks the rest of our trip.

Brea, California
Level Contributor
969 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Allergies in Las vegas??

i suffer from some pretty bad allergies and i find that the dry air in vegas is usually better for them.

but, if you do have problems, i'd recommend taking clartin, or loratadine for generic. you generally only need one for 10 hour relief and i've had no problems drinking with the meds. sudafed tends to give me more of a medicine head feeling and that combined with a couple of drinks will can put you down.