We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$20 dollar trick an urban myth?

Cardiff
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
$20 dollar trick an urban myth?

Is the the $20 dollar check in trick an urban myth? If not whats the best way to go about it?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $20 dollar trick an urban myth?

Do a search for the $20 trick in this forum. You'll get plenty of answers/opinions.

USA
Level Contributor
718 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $20 dollar trick an urban myth?

Here we go.... should I get some popcorn?

Level Contributor
8,463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: $20 dollar trick an urban myth?

Pretty much a myth, it depends on how you approach it. Just ask politely at check in "if any upgrades are avaiable", you will get 1 of 3 responses.

1. Sorry all booked up.

2. Yes for $X per night.

3. Yes, gratis upgrade, free.

If you get #3 you are free to tip the clerk, customary rate is $10 or $20.

If you try to slip the clerk a $20 between your credit card and DL, that is a bribe. If the employee accepts the bribe, gives you an upgrade, and is spotted by management, employee is likely terminated on the spot.

Hampton, New...
Level Contributor
495 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: $20 dollar trick an urban myth?

and according to Vegas Hotel Manager, the customer could get in trouble too. On one posting, he mentioned the customer had to pay top rate for the requested room, or be turned away..Something like that.

I did the $20 trick, and got what I needed, but that was before VHM and others told us it was trouble..

5. Re: $20 dollar trick an urban myth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:50 am, June 04, 2005
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: $20 dollar trick an urban myth?

I think the point being made by VHB is that the $20 trick is not necessary. If an upgrade is available you can get it without the $20 'bribe'.

Madison WI
Level Contributor
998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: $20 dollar trick an urban myth?

anir

paying $60 for gratis upgrades ?, smooth !

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: $20 dollar trick an urban myth?

Hod1,

It only works at the San Remo. If you try it they will comp you some fruity crepes.

Hope that you can use this for your book.

Best wishes

Dallas,Texas
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: $20 dollar trick an urban myth?

Nobody ever said "what kind of room you want, sir" to me unless a $20 bill showed up on the desk.

If someone said it to you without the bill, you must be having a mesmerizing charm !

For charmless people like me, the $20 bill does the trick; if you can get it for free why even bother about $20 trick ?

Level Contributor
8,463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: $20 dollar trick an urban myth?

anirbanstays, I have 9-years in LV hotel management. How many do you have?

I never once said it wouldn't work, I just stated it was improper for the employee to accept a bride in exchange for an upgrade. Fact is if you ask, and they are available, you will get one. No rule says you have to even tip the clerk for it, they are not the one who decided.