We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prevent my bags from getting lost??

hbk81
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
prevent my bags from getting lost??

is there a way i can try and prevent my bags from being lost.

etc... get there early or make my bag stick out from the rest of the crowd//

Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,625 Reviews
from $399.99*
$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,110 Reviews
from $142.99*
$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
403 Reviews
from $529.99*
$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
915 Reviews
from $598.99*
$650.00
Level Contributor
7,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: prevent my bags from getting lost??

Are you asking about how you will be able to recognize it on the carousel? Or how to make sure it gets on the plane with you? Not sure about the 1st part, tying a balloon to your bag will make it stick out. Try the $20 trick when you check in at the airport to make sure your bag gets on the right plane.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,365 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: prevent my bags from getting lost??

Where your bags go after they leave the check in desk is in the hands of the Gods, otherwise known as the baggage handlers:-).

This is tempting fate I know, but I have travelled many times and my bags have only gone walkies once. That was on the way back (thankfully) from Canada at the time of an Air Canada strike. We were routed through 4 airports but the bags only made it through 3. They were traced within 2 days and returned to us.

Redmond, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: prevent my bags from getting lost??

Use some sort of Identifier on your bag So that you can describe it if it does get lost.

I always put the address & ph. # of my destination on those little tags they give you at the airport.

Make sure you carry-on the stuff you will need to get through the night.

Pray that your bags don't get lost and be thankful if they do, because the airline will transport them to you hotel or home and then you don't have to lug them everywhere. If they do get lost you call the airline and tell them you need a change of clothes for an event and go down to the nearest store and buy what you need for the event, the airline wioll reimburse you up to 50% of the cost. That is a pretty good deal.

This has all happened to me and it actually all worked out. I told the airline that I was playing in a golf tournament and if my clubs didn't arrive on time I would have to buy new ones, I don't know what would have happened because the clubs arrived at my room after dinner along with the rest of my luggage.

Level Contributor
8,463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: prevent my bags from getting lost??

Simple either leave them at home or only use carry on. LOL

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,453 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: prevent my bags from getting lost??

Make sure the tag they put on your bag is for your final destination. Don't make it look obvious because you don't want them to think that you think they are incompetent. Never check curbside! Don't use expensive luggage, it just makes it more of a target. A lot of problems happen when you need to change planes, or more than one leg. when you book try not to cut your connection times too short. Put identification on your bag and IN your bag. The little tags the airline provides are ripped off easily. And finally if you fly through LAX pray to what ever god you have.

hbk81
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: prevent my bags from getting lost??

if i tell them i am going 2 lv and what hotel i am staying in but i have no idea what is my room number. do they just give to any one who works there and they bring it to my room or do they leave a note???

Redmond, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: prevent my bags from getting lost??

They will bring it to the bell desk or front desk and then the people responsible will bring it up, if it is just a registration desk you will probably have to go get them. I've had it happen at home and hotels.

LAX is where it happens to me most often, when I have to change planes there.

Twice when I changed for Palm Springs and once on a return trip from PalmSprings.

One time I was on Board and looked out the window and saw my bags on a cart heading to a different plane. The flight attendant said she would see what she could do, but of course notheing happened but my bags arrived at the hotel about an hour after I checked in.

Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
hbk81
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: prevent my bags from getting lost??

thank you for takeing your time to help me .

now i feel better just in case something happends i wont go nuts and still have a good time .

Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,453 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: prevent my bags from getting lost??

If your bags don't come out on the belt, your airline should have a lost bag office close by. You'll file some sort of lost bag claim where you'll tell them your name and where you're located in LV. They'll bring bags to hotel, but hotels may handle if differently, but rest assured if they find your bag and they know your name they'll find your name at the hotel. Once again if this happens at LAX forget it. I need to tell you what happened there. I lost four bags. They called the house where I was staying (in north hollwood 45 minutes away) and said they had my bags and would deliver them. There is a security gate at this residence and rather than buzzing us they just left two bags by the gate and left. I called and asked about the other two bags. They looked and said they found them and would send them out. Again they left ONE bag didn't buzz and left. Its now 2 in morning so I gave up. The next day I drove to LAX and immediately spotted my bag, clearly marked, in the midst of a hundred bags, just sitting in the baggage level and no one caring. That' just one of my memories of LAX.

Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,453 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: prevent my bags from getting lost??

Jimimac, that's a great story. I would of come unglued and surely would of had a wine or two on that leg.