We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Away from Vegas for the day...possible to do?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Away from Vegas for the day...possible to do?

While we are out in Vegas my sister wants to get away from vegas for the morning and after noon and do some looking around. She Is wanting to drive down to Laughlin and then over to Oatman and than back to vegas. I did a map quest and the mileage seems to be about 250 round trip which isn't that bad, but looking at the map it has a shorter route but I can't tell if the road is trusting enough to drive. On the drive from Laughlin over to Oatman the map has us going via 95 south out of Lauglin down to 153 and over, but there is a 155 that is close to Laughlin that appears to go over to Oatman but I can't verify if it's safe or not. Has anyone been down to that area and know about the roadage in that area? We plan on heading out of Vegas after we check out of hotel and grab some breakfast then upon returning that nigh checking into our hotel on Freemont street. Sis wants to see area's outside of vegas and we are already planning on hitting valley of fire, lake mead, hoover dam and Red Rock while we are out there.

10 replies to this topic
South Florida...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Away from Vegas for the day...possible to do?

Let Google map tell you which route to take. It's a lot smarter than us. Not sure why you're trying to figure this out like you're reading an old gas station map. Trust in technology.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Away from Vegas for the day...possible to do?

A road not trusting enough to drive? What does that even mean?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Away from Vegas for the day...possible to do?

Have you seen the other thread on page 1 talking about oatman AZ ??

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting Away from Vegas for the day...possible to do?

I would not risk getting lost in the middle of the desert where cell service could be spotty to nonexsistant.

Take the main roads, and yes, visiting Oatman and Laughlin would be quite doable.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,421 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting Away from Vegas for the day...possible to do?

Take Boundary Cone Road,over to Oatman. It is paved.

After Oatman take R-66 over Sitgreaves Pass to Kingman and stop in at the restored Cool Springs gas station on the Kingman side of the hill.

On the way back up 93 towards the dam, stop in Chloride to see Roy Purcells murals and stop in the the old Digger Daves bar grill now called the Prospector I believe.

Between there and the dam, you can drive down to Willow Beach Marina on the river below the dam.

Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting Away from Vegas for the day...possible to do?

Indy,I cant answer your question but I fully understand why you may come here to have it answered. I would rather have someone like Dez40 above answer my question then to have someone tell me to put it into a computer and take whatever it spits out. The computers only put out whats put in and that's not always best. I can remember letting google map take me to a home in Milwaukee. Unfortunately it took me through the scariest streets I every drove on. have fun

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting Away from Vegas for the day...possible to do?

Is the road paved or not? Being I will be in a rental car I would not driving on unpaved roads.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,421 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting Away from Vegas for the day...possible to do?

Boundary Cone Road...

https://goo.gl/maps/x1JHZmVgpjo

Silver Creek/155...

https://goo.gl/maps/URnS8gSpeBQ2

South Florida...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting Away from Vegas for the day...possible to do?

I think the OP is safe by trusting google maps that it's not going to lead him through the MS-13 headquarters in Oatman, AZ.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,655 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting Away from Vegas for the day...possible to do?

Indy: Take Dez's route.

Do not forget Mt. Charleston as another "out of Vegas" possibility.

Reply to: Getting Away from Vegas for the day...possible to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted