We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rentals and tire chains??

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Car rentals and tire chains??

We are discussing renting a car for our trip next week to Tahoe due to the possibility of snow. Problem is... we are all from Texas and have no clue where to get these chains, how to use them...or anything of the sort...

I already spoke to Enterprise and they say they do rent cars but chaining the tires, etc...is completely up to us.

Do you think it's best to just give up on renting the car? Or is it worth it to figure all of this out?

Thanks in advance for any advice or assistance!

Deanna

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,867 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rentals and tire chains??

Just because there is snow does not mean you need chains. In fact, chances are you wont need chains. I wouldnt worry about it. If it snows that hard, you'll want to stay off the road anyway until they plow/salt/sand the road.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rentals and tire chains??

You have a couple of choices. You can rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle with all weather tires on it. That will cover you when chains are required. They generally close the roads before they would ever require 4 wheel drive to put on chains on any state road.

The thing about chains is that at the chain checkpoints they have people you can pay to have them put on. These people are generally referred to as chain monkeys.

It's been snowing alot the last couple of days and weather is not very predictable in the mountains this time of year.

At this time on Hughway 50 here's what Caltrans has:

CHAINS ARE REQUIRED ON ALL VEHICLES EXCEPT 4-WHEEL-DRIVE VEHICLES WITH SNOW

TIRES ON ALL 4 WHEELS FROM TWIN BRIDGES TO MEYERS

This is very common for that particular area when it snows.

Highway 80:

No chains required right now but trucks (semis) are being screened for chains due to the changeable weather.

I don't know where you are coming from,, or what roads you will use so I can't comment on specifically how you will be affected. If it is not snowing you will not need chains as the roads are kept plowed. It is only when the snow is accumulating faster than the plows can keep up that chains are required, so it has to be actively snowing.

Louisville
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rentals and tire chains??

I will be going from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe in March (around the 14th). Do you know of any car rental companies that will provide snow chains? Will I need snow chains in March? If the car rental companies don't provide snow chains, where do you purchase them?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,867 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rentals and tire chains??

I have rented cars from all over from many different companies and do not know of any that rent chains. You can buy them at most tire stores, Pep Boys, etc.

5. Re: Car rentals and tire chains??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 17, 2009