We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from vegas to lake tahoe mid june

Watertown, New York
4 posts
Save Topic
driving from vegas to lake tahoe mid june

month long road trip from upstate new york to reno

would like to go via vegas than tahoe than reno

have driven last couple years to reno through salt lake city didn't mind the elevation

however we did drive to vegas once through denver to 4 corners than grand canyon

did not like elevations we drove. scenery was great but wife and i both commented they we got a little light headed on higher elevations wish not to encounter that again.

traveling mid june 2014 concerns are heat , elevation,and safety

looking for recommended roads to take

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,690 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from vegas to lake tahoe mid june

Most scenic route is thru Death Valley to Lone Pine then up hwy 395 at the base of the eastern Sierras.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
27,622 posts
5,811 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from vegas to lake tahoe mid june

If you do not want to go through the mountains highway 95 from Las Vegas to Reno is at lower altitudes. To get to the part of Reno you will want to go to you will need to take highway 50 as well.

http://www.aaroads.com/west/us-095_nv.html

The scenery is pretty boring

and for better scenery the route given by dez40 above is much better

but there will be more elevation gains.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from vegas to lake tahoe mid june

I have done the Las Vegas to Lake Tahoe drive a few times. It is a long days drive through Death Valley and then up Hwy 395, but it is such a beautiful drive. It will be hot in Death Valley but the rest of the drive will be much cooler. The highest elevation you will drive will be the Conway Summit at just over 8,000 ft. just after you leave Mono Lake. You do know that Lake Tahoe is at 6,200 ft? Is that too high for your system?

The roads are mostly two lane highways, but they are safe. You will probably run into road delays somewhere along this route, as this is road repair season.

Watertown, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from vegas to lake tahoe mid june

I guess from northern ny driving through Death Valley sounds scary. Apparently not. I take it's well traveled and elevation under 10000?

Watertown, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from vegas to lake tahoe mid june

I guess from northern ny driving through Death Valley sounds scary. Apparently not. I take it's well traveled and elevation under 10000?

Watertown, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from vegas to lake tahoe mid june

Tahoe didn't bother us. I think it was elevation around 10000 that bothered us

Thank you looks like Death Valley to 395

Orange County Ca
Level Contributor
151 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from vegas to lake tahoe mid june

In mid June both heat and elevation will be factors, with heat likely to be a source of irritation far more than elevation. Have not made this trek in several years, but were I to do so again, would take a slightly different route than earlier suggestions. Would avoid Death Valley, it can be over 120 in June. Better would be to continue on to Lida Junction, then turn west on NV266 which becomes CA168, and connects with 395 at Big Pine. This route goes between the White and Inyo mountains, with Westgard Pass, at a tick over 7300 feet, the highest point. As stated, 395 has a couple of 8000 foot summits, but nothing higher, far below the 10,000 foot discomfort level. mentioned.

8. Re: driving from vegas to lake tahoe mid june

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 13, 2015