We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with a snowboard on Southwest - Is there a charge?

Tysons Corner...
Level Contributor
328 posts
Save Topic
Flying with a snowboard on Southwest - Is there a charge?

I just got off the phone with a rep from Southwest who didn't do a very good job of explaining whether they charge you to check your snowboard on the plane. Their website is very vague also.

I have a 152cm board with a case that is be less than 50 pounds.

I’m wondering who has flown on Southwest with a snowboard and whether you had to pay to check it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,867 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying with a snowboard on Southwest - Is there a charge?

One snowboard and boot bag = 1 bag

Snow or water skis are accepted when enclosed in a suitable container. Southwest Airlines provides free plastic bags for ski equipment. These bags are used to prevent the various components of ski equipment from becoming separated. The skis will be conditionally accepted unless they are being transported in a hard, plastic case or standard ski bag. Snow ski equipment consists of one pair each of skis, ski poles, and boots. Water-ski equipment includes one pair of skis and one life preserver or vest. Snowboard equipment includes one snowboard and one pair of boots.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying with a snowboard on Southwest - Is there a charge?

I fly Southwest all the time to ski and snowboard. They allow you two bags for free, however, and this is great for you and I your skis or snow board and boot bag count as one. SO effectively you get three bags !! If you want the details go to their website and read their carraige contract its pretty long but also much more clear.

3. Re: Flying with a snowboard on Southwest - Is there a charge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 13, 2010