We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon

Hi,

Me and my hubby to be are off on honeymoon in July/August. We are flying to Vancouver in Canada. From Vancouver, we are hoping to drive down to Yellowstone National Park. We realise this is a fairly big drive, so we'd probably need to break our journey with two overnight stays en route from Vancouver to Yellowstone. Any suggestions as to where we could stay?

When we arrive in Yellowstone, where's the best place to stay? And what sights do you recommend seeing whilst we are there?

Also, when we leave Yellowstone, we will be heading back into Canada, to Calgary. This drive is slightly shorter... so do we need to break it with another overnight stay somewhere or do you think we could make it in one day?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Leanne.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon

The software I used says its a 16 hour drive from Vancouver to Old Faithful in Yellowstone. If that's accurate, I'd probably try to drive it in two days. Coeur d'Alene, Idaho looks like its around halfway. The roads are mainly interstate so you can drive 70MPH on a lot of them.

My wife and I normally go as far as we can and then just find a place to stop. That way if we get to where we wanted to be on day 1, we can keep going if we want. I guess it depends on how long you can stay in a car seat.

Your biggest problem in Yellowstone will be finding accomodations. You should make those as soon as you can. The Canyon area is nice and in a good location. They have lodges and cabins but I don't know what's available. The Old Faithful Inn is 100 years old and is nice also. Rustic but nice. There's 3 lodges and cabins there too. They Upper Geyser Basin is there and is definitely worth seeing.

You can check www.Xanterra.com to see about reservations. They have a good cancellation policy. Make reservations now and change later if the trip gets messed up.

As far as information about the park, maybe the best I can do is offer to show the pictures and trip reports from our visit in July. www.AlandSueJohnson.com and click on the bison picture.

Its an amazing place. How long will you be there? It might be worth spending one day driving down to see the Grand Tetons as well. It would take all day.

The only thing I saw on the drive to Calgary is that the roads don't look as good. It might be a day drive but hopefully someone else will talk about that part.

Ingatestone, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon

If you're looking at staying in West Yellowstone, the Bar N Ranch may be a good option - rooms look lovely and there are cute cabins with outdoor hot-tubs. It gets great reviews, and looks good as a romantic destination - I've just booked to go there for 3 nights.

We're flying in and out of Calgary and are breaking up our journey by staying in Waterton Lakes/Glacier National Park.

Start making reservations soon, though - July/August is a peak time in that area!

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon

Leanne -Congratulations on a honeymoon - and in Yellowstone!You'll have some great memories. If I were a romantic couple, there are a couple of things I would want to fit into my Yellowstone trip-

* Go to the Old Faithful Inn, climb the stairs to the second floor and go outside to the observation deck, and watch Old Faithful erupt. We were there one night with a full moon, wrapped up in a blanket with our coffee's, listened to the Great Horned Owls hooting and waited for the eruption.

* If you like to hike, take the Fairy Falls hike early in the morning. You can access the trail from Fountain Paint Pots drive (south of Old Faithful). There are fewer other hikers earlier in the day and you can really enjoy the hike and the falls.

* If you like to swim, take the Firehole Falls cutoff road (just south of Madison Junction). After you go past the falls and at the top of the climb, there are parking spots to the left and a flight of stairs to your right. The stairs go down to a large pool formed by the Firehole River. You are surrounded by cliffs. Even in the summer, the river is cool.

* Don't miss the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. Take the exit to the Lower Falls. Walk out to the overlook and make sure you have someone take your picture with the Falls behind you!

* Go to the Lake Hotel. Either enjoy a drink in the late afternoon in the Sun Room (solarium) in the front of the hotel that faces the Lake. There are usually musicians playing and you meet all sorts of fascinating people. We also like to walk down to the lake, and sit on the benches and watch the sunset. The colors against the mountains around the lake are beautiful.

* Grab an ice cream cone at the Tower store and eat it outside on the benches overlooking the canyon. Watch for the peregrine falcons and ospreys that fly up and down the canyon. Big horn sheep can often be spotted on the other side of the canyon along the rocks and ridges.

* We love the sound of the wolf packs in the pack although this usually means a very early morning trip. In the summer, we get up and go to Lamar Valley so we are there when the sun rises. We follow the wolf reports and talk to the rangers about the best places to listen for them.

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon

Thank you so much for this information. its really helpful.. will definitely be taking your advice on the things to see and do.

Thanks again

Leanne.

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon

F.A.O Polar Bear

Thanks so much for your advice on the Bar N Ranch. I checked it out and it looks idylic. We've now made reservations to stay there for three nights.

Thanks again, greatly appreciated!!!

Leanne

6. Re: Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, August 27, 2009