We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowmobiling in the Park

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
309 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Snowmobiling in the Park

Do they allow this anymore? If so what dates are the trails open?

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowmobiling in the Park

YES, you can snowmobile in Yellowstone Park from mid-December to early March. This year the Park will open on December 20th.

It is an incredible way to see Yellowstone. Few people, the animals are up close and easy to spot (especially the wolves), and the thermal features are even more photographic with the steam against the colder temparatures. Snowmobiling in Yellowstone does require a special 4-stroke environmentally friendly snowmobile and that you go with an authorized guide.

West Yellowstone
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowmobiling in the Park

Yes! Snowmobiling in Yellowstone Park is still going on and it's a once in a lifetime experience. You required to ride a park approved 4-stroke and you get to spend the day with an experienced and knowledgable guide. Yellowstone is typically open to over the snow vehicles (snowcoaches and snowmobiles) from mid December- early March depending on snow conditions. I would recommend seeing Yellowstone Park in the winter, the snow is like iceing on the cake. The winter is equally spectacular for animal watching, photography and family fun.

Cameron, Montana
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snowmobiling in the Park

Hi,

Yes, they do still allow snowmobiling inside Yellowstone National Park. It is a wonderful experience! It feels like you are even closer to nature than in the Summer. What an experience to be on a snowmobile with the buffalo just right there. And the steam from the geysers and such is so much more noticeable when the emperature is so much colder. You do need to be on a qualified four stroke snowmobile and go in with a certified park guide. Their is lots more information and referrals on www.seeyellowstone.com for companies that offer guide service, snowmobiles, lodging, etc. , . The calendar on the website also has information about local events going on and the opening and closing dates of the park gates. For another option you might try a snowcoach trip into the park.

Happy travels!

Yellowstone Country
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Snowmobiling in the Park

Yellowstone is open to snomobiles as well as snowcoaches in the winter. NO PRIVATE VEHICLES ALLOWED! To ride into Yellowstone you have to go in with a certified guide and be on an approved 4-stroke snowmobile. This is a great experience for people that have never been in Yellowstone on a snowmobile. You really get a feel for how large and powerful Yellowstone is from the back of a quiet 4-stroke. (I recommend upgrading to a sled with handwarmer!!)

I snowmobiled in Yellowstone numerous times both when you could go in on your own and with a guide. I prefer seeing Yellowstone from a snowcoach as the coach drivers are EXTREMELY knowledgeable! I've been coming to Yellowstone since I was a little kid and on my first snowcoach trip I learned more than I'd ever known about the different thermal features, animal tracking and knowledge about this awesome caldera.

For snowmobiling I prefer the National Forests! Heading up to Two Top on a clear day at your own leisure (you don't need a guide outside of Yellowstone Park) and looking out over the valley to the Grand Tetons is AMAZING! There a hundreds of different trails and I've just as many animals outside of Yellowstone as I have inside the park borders. This area is truly awe inspiring so don't hesitate to book a snowcoach and snowmobile package ASAP! I like the folks at See Yellowstone Tours.

5. Re: Snowmobiling in the Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, August 12, 2009