We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Teton rafting vs. float trip

Which West Yellowstone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NC
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Teton rafting vs. float trip

We're going to Yellowstone in 2 weeks and stopping for a day in the Tetons. I've read that the water can be rough in June. We have a 14 and 10 year old boys. We have only rafted once before with level 2 and couple 3's. Just wondering which would be better for the family and if anyone can suggest any company to go with.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Teton rafting vs. float trip

You might consider the scenic floats inside Grand Teton instead of the whitewater float below the park.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,927 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Teton rafting vs. float trip

My family loved our scenic float trips with Barker Ewing on the Snake River- great way to see scenery and wildlife.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Teton rafting vs. float trip

Scenic float = boring (for kids!). Take those boys on the whitewater trip. Make sure the 10yo is big enough for any age or size requirements first, but don't hesitate.

Kids don't give a hoot about scenery after ten seconds.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Teton rafting vs. float trip

So true ainwa -lol.

I would suggest contacting the rafting companies directly - they can tell you what the water conditions are likely to be when you're in the Jackson/Teton area - and what age/weight requirements they might have also.

Other companies I would recommend are: Dave Hansen, Mad River, and Solitude.I know there are others in the area, but can't remember the names offhand. The Jackson Chamber of Commerce website will have more info for you.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Teton rafting vs. float trip

Hi! We went to Yellowstone 3 years ago in August when my twin boys were 9 1/2 and daughter almost 5 (too young for rafting). We went on a float trip out of Jackson Hole. It was cold & foggy and we did not see the sides of the river until 1/2 way through. I was disappointed. However the kids enjoyed it! And were able to help row! We saw many bald eagles. I would recommend taking a trip in the afternoon after the weather warms up and early morning fog lifts. We used Dave Hansen and were pleased. Since it was August - the water was very calm. I don't recall there being any float trips within Grand Teton National Park just in Jackson Hole. Have a great vacation

PS Kids loved the Jackson Rodeo!!!

Lima, Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Teton rafting vs. float trip

We took the scenic float trip with Barker Ewing (on Broadway st). They have a Tues and Sat. dinner float. Roan was our guide and did an excellent job of informing us about the area. The girls from Florida who were a little bit younger than your boys seemed to enjoy it. Mr. Ewing has arrangements with a big rancher to use some of the private ranch riverside land for a landing spot for a picnic/western style dinner at the end of the float. Janet, the manager, was most accomodating for several requests the guests had. We felt like we had known the guide, the bus driver, the server, and all of the employees for most of our lives. And when we were done, we felt like we knew the area much better. One of the best things we did while on vacation!

7. Re: Grand Teton rafting vs. float trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:47 pm, June 27, 2013