We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closest place to stay near Old Faithful

Tampa Fl
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Closest place to stay near Old Faithful

My husband and I will be traveling to Yellowstone National Park and GTNP in late July early August. I would like to know where we can stay that would be central to both to that we can enjoy both parks in one trip.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Closest place to stay near Old Faithful

ChecK out Flagg Ranch. 5 miles to entrance of GTNP and 45 miles to Old Faithful

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,773 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closest place to stay near Old Faithful

How many days do you have for seeing both parks? The trip from Flagg Ranch to the northern part of Yellowstone and back will be an all day drive if you stop to see anything. It would be a better plan if you have more than a couple days to spend part of it in Yellowstone at Lake or Canyon, part near West Yellowstone or Old Faithful, and then moving to somewhere in Grand Teton. The driving in Yellowstone is slow with a maximum speed limit of 45 and slower in many places with the driving impeded at times by animals on the road. You are also likely to get stuck behind a slower driver with no option to pass.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Closest place to stay near Old Faithful

Depending on how much time you have for this trip (ie 3-4 days or more), it would definitely be possible to visit both parks. However, I agree with RM-MN that it is difficult to do this from one location. If you look at the map on the YNP website, you will see the distances involved: www.nps.gov/yell To calculate the estimated driving times, a good rule of thumb is to double the distance - so a 15 mile section would take about 1/2 hr.etc.

You might consider staying in GTNP or Jackson for part of your trip, then in YNP for the remainder. Canyon and Lake are the most central locations in the park, and West Yellowstone and Gardiner are the closest gateway towns if you prefer being outside the park.

Good luck with your planning.

Mentioned in this post
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
Tampa Fl
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Closest place to stay near Old Faithful

Thank you for the information. We have about 7 days to spend and it appears that the best option would be to split the time between the two parks,

Which park has the most to see and do? We like to hike and bike but we also wanted to do some whitewater rafting. What do you suggest?

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Closest place to stay near Old Faithful

Are you flying? If so bike rentals are nonexistent in both parks. Also the roads are not built with shoulders big enough to accommodate bikes ( although I have seen a few cyclists). Both parks have good hiking trails but my favorite is to take the boat across Jenny Lake in GTNP to Inspiration Point and Hidden Falls. That's where most people stop. But continue on into the canyon (it's name escapes me) and turn around when you must.Absolutely gorgeous! Of course the thermal features in YNP not to mention the wildlife viewing will keep you busy. Not sure about rafting-never done that.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Closest place to stay near Old Faithful

There is hiking in both parks, but as already stated, very little biking - you don't want to be competing for road space with a herd of bison :-)

Rafting is best done from Jackson or GTNP. Some good companies are: Dave Hansen, Mad River, and Barker-Ewing. You can choose either float trips or whitewater. Although at that time of year water levels are generally fairly low, the whitewater trips are still fun.

I would suggest reading the "Things to Do" sections on both park websites for more ideas of available activities.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,166 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Closest place to stay near Old Faithful

Agree with Paula that the NPS.gov websites are filled with information. Here's the hiking page to get you started.

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

Yellowstone is a lot bigger than Grand Teton, so I would spend more days there. Does your 7 days include flying in and out? If so , where are you flying in to? If you have 7 whole days, you could do 4 in Yellowstone and 3 in Grand Teton, that way you could raft in the Tetons on one morning, but still have time for hiking as well.

There is a lot of information on the Wyoming forum which has separate sub-forums for both Yellowstone and Grand Tetons.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28973-i480-Wyomin…

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
8. Re: Closest place to stay near Old Faithful

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, June 20, 2013