We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone

Which West Yellowstone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ga
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone

We are going snowmobiling in West Yellowstone the last week in Jan. We are flying into Bozeman and are renting a car to drive to West Yellowstone. I have read that we should take highw 287 instead of highway 91. Can someone please comment on that?

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
3,976 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone

Why US-287? US-191, not 91, is the most direct route and is 35 miles shorter than via 287. I seriously doubt it matters which route for January weather as if it's miserable both routes will be lousy. That said 287 is a simple yet sweepingly scenic drive, though many prefer 191, I actually like 287 a little better.

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone

The Bozeman airport(Gallatin Field BZN) is actually in the town of Belgrade, MT., about 7 or 8 miles northwest of Bozeman.

From the airport you would turn right (northwest) on E. Main St. toward the town of Belgrade. In a half mile turn left onto Jackrabbit Lane. That is also MT 291. Take MT 291 south toward Big Sky, and it will become US 191. Continue south on US 191 down to West Yellowstone. Total trip is approx. 85 miles +/-.

Have fun!

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone

Took 291 from Belgrade this past summer and it was very pretty. Starts with a bit of scenic canyon like area along the river and after Big Sky broadens out. In Winter would be very pretty. Lone Mountain at Big Sky should be pretty cool looking too. With the traffic to Big Sky I would imagine the road would be kep about as open as any road if weather got bad.

Butte
Level Contributor
258 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone

The most obvious route is 191 sth, to West Yellowstone, however, Livingston sth on 89 is also a very nice drive, as is 287 from, BZN, through Norris, you cant go wrong with any of these drives

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone

In the winter it isn't easy to get to West Yellowstone from Mammoth, so better not go that way. It is a fine route when the interior of the park is open.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,737 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone

Taking 191 down to West would be the most direct route. Taking 287 through Norris and Ennis will add an hour or two to your route. Don't know why that would be recommended, unless it's a matter of the winter driving conditions through Gallatin Canyon on 191 - but that road is kept pretty clear because of the ski resorts in the area - so it would still be my first choice..

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
3,976 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone

Correct. I intentionally left out the US-89 route via Livingstone and Gardiner since you can't get to WY from Mammoth in the winter... well you can with a ridiculously long detour. ;) Regardless US-191 is the best choice here.

8. Re: Drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 07, 2011