We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tours out of west yellowstone or gardiner

long island
Level Contributor
462 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
tours out of west yellowstone or gardiner

We will be staying three nights in Gardiner and three nights in West Yellowstone.Which tours should we take from our Gardiner location or could we take all our tours through West Yellowstone.I have been reading that West Yellowstone has more things going on there.We could stay in West Yellowstone for all six nights.

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tours out of west yellowstone or gardiner

While there are several tours that you can book, even if this is your first visit, most of us would advise you to skip the tours and explore Yellowstone on your own. No matter how much you are willing to pay for a tour, they can not take you anyplace you can't go, or show you anything that you can't see by driving yourself.

Driving in YNP is really quite easy, and by doing it on your own you are free to go at your own pace, stop where you want, and stay as long as you want.

When you first enter the park you'll be given a basic map and general information. Once inside the park, stop in any of the visitor centers and pick up free maps and brochures explaining all about the park. You can also ask the park rangers stationed in those visitor centers for suggestions on where to go and what to look for, too.

While it's true that West Yellowstone offers more choices for lodging, dinning, shopping, etc. than Gardiner, please be advised that Yellowstone is not about five star hotels, gourmet dinning, and nightlife, no matter where you stay.

long island
Level Contributor
462 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tours out of west yellowstone or gardiner

thank you hawkeye.Another few questions .From our gardiner location which sites would be closer to see and which sites would be closer to see from West Yellowstone.thank you

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tours out of west yellowstone or gardiner

There are a number of tour companies that operate out of Gardiner and more out of West Yellowstone.

You could do different activities in each place. There are horseback riding and white water rafting trips offered by several Gardiner companies just outside of Yellowstone. www.gardinerchamber.com/directory.asp?cat=7

The Yellowstone Association has a number of classes/hikes offered from Gardiner. http://yellowstoneassociation.org/

West Yellowstone has both companies that offer tours of Yellowstone (different types and lengths): http://destinationyellowstone.com/play/tours/

Understanding Yellowstone Park, and digesting all the information about it, can be overwhelming. There are many sources, and just as many different opinions, explaining how to experience what Yellowstone has to offer.

If you have the type of personality that likes to research and plan, there is a wealth of information about location of favorite sights and activities, basic road information, and best places to take pictures or view wildlife. One of the best resources is Yellowstone National Park’s own website, www. http://www.nps.gov/yell/index.htm.

On the other hand, there are also good reasons to take a guided tour of Yellowstone. More and more international visitors are coming to Yellowstone and prefer a guided tour complete with driver. This eliminates the stress of acquiring an international license and driving in a foreign country.

Other people are just not comfortable (or experienced) with driving in mountainous areas or on narrow roads.

Or, others would prefer someone else deal with the park’s perennial road construction. If you are going to be staying for several days, a guided tour on your first day will give you the opportunity to learn about the roads and locations within the Park. . The tour driver/guide does all the driving, points out the best places to see wildlife, offers information & history on the Park, etc. It takes a lot of pressure off you to drive and entertain your family at the same time while trying to read a map and figure out where to go next. Use the Park Service's newspaper, which includes a general map and program locations. On your tour, make notes on your map of areas that you want to go back and visit, or circle ranger programs at that location.

However you decide to experience Yellowstone, it is a wonderful and very unique place.

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tours out of west yellowstone or gardiner

Bethpage,

While Yellowstonefan makes a good and valid case FOR booking a tour, my suggestions were meant to offer the option to those who might not realize that there is an option. It really is a matter of personal choice, and which ever you choose, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

As for your last question, from Gardiner you will be closest to Mammoth, and the northeastern range, including Lamar Valley, Roosevelt, and the Tower Falls areas. West Yellowstone will be more convenient for visiting Old Faithful, and the geothermal areas in the western areas of the park. The entire park is "doable" from either location. It just depends on how much time you want to spend driving to reach the different sites.

If you haven't made your reservations yet, and depending on how soon you'll be visiting, you might consider staying inside the park around the Canyon area, as that is more centrally located for covering the entire park.

long island
Level Contributor
462 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tours out of west yellowstone or gardiner

i like the idea of taking one day tour and than driving the other days myself.I tried to get lodging in the park yesterday but could only find single nights available. i will try up to a few days before we leave on sept 6 2008.thank you for all the info.

long island
Level Contributor
462 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tours out of west yellowstone or gardiner

another questions .I see two tours Circle of Fire and Yellowstone in a Day. Any ideas on these two tours.

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tours out of west yellowstone or gardiner

I am not familiar with either of those tours that you mentioned.

However from what I hear it's best not to rely on Xanterra's on-line reservation services for attempting to get lodging within the park.

I would suggest trying their tool free number for current info and possible late cancellations.

1-888-297-2757 Between 7 AM and 6 PM Mountain time.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tours out of west yellowstone or gardiner

Hi Bethpage !!

if you are going to be spending 6 nights in and around Yellowstone, perhaps you should consider enjoying Yellowstone as a drive thru Park, and spend a few nights in a number of interesting locations, all reached by driving thru Yellowstone and seeing each of the entry roads, such as Jackson Hole, Cody, Gardner and West Yellowstone.

They are each a couple of hours away and this way you will see the entire park at your leisure.

I do not know how you are arriving, I assume you are flying nearby.

Have a great time.

long island
Level Contributor
462 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tours out of west yellowstone or gardiner

thank you urbanNYC.

Yes we are flying into Bozeman,MT. Staying in Gardiner, Colter Bay, and West Yellowstone.We will be driving around and be in the area for nine nights.

10. Re: tours out of west yellowstone or gardiner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, October 07, 2009