We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yelowstone trip

chesterfield uk
1 post
Save Topic
yelowstone trip

would love to visit next year for wedding anniversary-sort of trip of a lifetime- do not know what to expect in terms of weather etc around beginning of june

hoping to combine with other places but distances seem so vast to us. like to plan/book for myself so have to start early to work out intinerary from uk

amy tours suggested to see as much as possible in short time.

dont like roughing it but not too expensive either!

any tips anyone?

NJ
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yelowstone trip

can't really speak to tours, always travel on my own, i like having my own schedule for the day! you might look into booking on your own, or have a travel agent design your trip but i would suggest

flying into jackson wyoming and renting a car (if i can drive on the left, you can drive on the right!)

staying in jackson the night you arrive unless you have time to drive up to yellowstone but that would be an unbelievably long day, better to rest up and start out the next day.

drive all the way up to yellowstone (get accommodations in the park go to the Xanterra.com website, they are the hoteliers for yellowstone and grand teton national park)

spend 3 to 5 days in yellowstone staying in two locations

i suggest old faithful inn complex and the canyon or roosevelt area) If you like fancy, lake hotel and mammoth hot springs.

if you have more time i would add a whole day of driving the beartooth highway northeast of the park while you are in yellowstone. go out the east enterance at cody wy and head north to red lodge and make a loop over the beartooth to cooke and back to yellowstone.

after yellowstone head down to grand teton and stay 2 or 3 nights at one of the lodges there, there are different prices ranges...

then back to jackson or straight to the airport from grand teton.....

if you want to do grand teton first then yellowstone that works too but i would drive from yellowstone to jackson, stay overnight again and fly out the next day at the end of your trip.

you will not need a 4x4 vehicle for this trip a sedan will do, and i suggest a mid size for comfort. a full size isn't much bigger and might use more gas/petrol

I would also suggest you purchase a travel book to get you more info. i lean toward the moon publications and lonely planet. you can see the variety on a site like amazon.com.

good luck and enjoy!

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yelowstone trip

Good advice above and you're planning your trip early enough. The airport is actually Jackson Hole and is about 8 miles north of the town of Jackson.

We just got back and were in Yellowstone June 7 - 14 followed by 2 days in the Grand Tetons. You asked about the weather. It was cold. The temperatures were sometimes low but the wind was howling. That made it cold regardless. We didn't see much accumulation of snow but there was 4" one night. Last year was warmer so who knows.

Four days in Yellowstone (or more) would be good. Two days in the Tetons would be good. More at either is always better.

You don't need a tour to enjoy the park. You'll be amazed at what you see just driving around.

Xanterra's website is www.travelyellowstone.com. Check them now. Roosevelt is the cheapest I think but heating in the cabins is marginal. Canyon is a great location. The Old Faithful Inn is cool. Good place to stay for the western side of the park. If you know when you want to travel, make your reservations soon. They have a decent cancellation policy. You'll be able to get rooms/cabins for a while but you may get double beds instead of twins. Or you might get two double beds (more room for stuff) instead of one.

We've got a lot of information on our website. If might give you some insight too. Later today I expect to have a trip report and pictures from this year's visit to the park.

www.alandsuejohnson.com

Yellowstone link on the left

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
891 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: yelowstone trip

If you have driven in the US before and enjoy it, I think you will find it cheaper to fly Manchester to Salt Lake City. We flew with Continental Airlines connecting in Newark, NJ which I prefer to connecting in Chicago where we have had bad experiences. Make sure you choose a flight with longer than 2 hours connection time when coming from UK.

Flying to Jackson would cut the driving time down, but I found it expensive and too many connections from Manchester.

We have done this twice now (each time with two drivers)and it is a 5 - 6 hour drive, so you would be better staying overnight in SLC then taking your time the next day - the route is very pretty with plenty of photo ops.

As AKJ said the weather was cold for June (but we are used to that aren't we, with 4" of snow on two occasions, but it changes so quickly in Yellowstone.

It is best to stay in the park so that you are on the spot for wildlife spotting or in one of the gateway towns. You are planning well in advance, but I made all in-park accommodation reser in September last year and there wasn't an awful lot left. I thought the price was very reasonable.

This is the best place for information - many people will help with advice.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yelowstone trip

Flying into Denver may be a good option. From there you could visit Rocky Mtn National Park, Black Hills/Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, Tetons and back to Denver!

How much time are you planning on visiting? Are you interested in driving yourself or do you have to take a tourbus? I would do it all on your own, early June is a good time to travel, as most families have not started their summer trips.

Early June can be nice, can be cold. This June, seems like plenty of snowstorms! Check the Wyoming forums as well for Yellowstone.. some great recent trip reports.

W.P. UTAH
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: yelowstone trip

I live near Salt Lake City and have been to the park many times. We stay in a motel in West Yellowstone and drive into the park daily (more places to stay and eat, probably less expensive too). You need to rent a car.The best way to see most everything is driving and following the maps. If you stay inside the park, I prefer canyon, it's close to the canyons and most of the animals are in the north east side of the park. Plan on about four days to see the entire park.You don't need a tour ,just follow the maps and schedule day trips.The roads are designed in loops , just schedule different loops each day and take some of the smaller recommended scenic side roads. Maybe take some groceries and a cooler for drinks and lunchs, there are lots of nice picnic areas. The weather will be good, probably in the 80's the evenings will be cool because your up in the mountains bring a jacket, days will be hot, tee shirts and shorts probably. Not much rain. It's a good time of the year to go.

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: yelowstone trip

I am going to email you a series of articles about driving the interior roads within the park. If you use the articles with the map on this page, it will help explain the different locations in the park for lodging and just outside it: nps.gov/archive/yell/interactivemap/index.htm

As far as weather, that is a tough question, just because it changes depending on the year. This year our winter went into early June. The prior three years, early June was warm, sunny, and the snow wsa gone. The best advice is to dress in layers (lighter weight clothing that can be added or taken off as needed).

7. Re: yelowstone trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, October 03, 2009