We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jackson Hole Airport to West Yellowstone?

Which West Yellowstone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Allentown, PA
Level Contributor
302 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Jackson Hole Airport to West Yellowstone?

I will coming to YNP and GTNP this June and will be flying into jackson Hole. I am looking for suggestions as to what is the easiest and fastest drive from the airport to West Yellowstone. It seems as if you can drive around the park through Idaho or directly north through the park. I want the most direct route going because we do plan to drive from West Yellowstone to Jackson for the second half of our trip. Also, is the route around the park interesting and worth doing? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jackson Hole Airport to West Yellowstone?

The most direct route is going through Yellowstone. It is approximately 118 miles and just under 3 hours. The route through Idaho may look more driect, but it is 137 miles and takes about 3 1/4 hours. What you probably can't see from your map is that from Jackson into Idaho you will be driving over a high mountain pass and then taking slower two-way roads the rest of the way. However, it is a scenic, interesting drive. You get to see the west side of the Tetons, which is a different perspective. You could also take the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway between Ashton and Island Park, but that would add to your time. Enjoy your trip. Either choice is a good one.

Allentown, PA
Level Contributor
302 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jackson Hole Airport to West Yellowstone?

Thanks so much for your reply. I have read that travel times through to park can be slower since there are lower speed limits and people tend to stop or slow down to admire the scenic beauty. Do you find that to be true at the time of year we are going (late June)? I also forgot to mention that we will be driving through the park to get from W. Yellowstone to Jackson on the return, so I am thinking the alternate route might be the best choice to see some different scenery.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jackson Hole Airport to West Yellowstone?

There's so little differnece in the time that I would definitely try both ways. I, for one, hate to go the same way twice if I can avoid it. The drive over Teton Pass is beautiful; the small towns along the way are typical small town America, and the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway is well worth taking. Besides, that way you get to see some of Idaho (America's best kept secret), too!

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jackson Hole Airport to West Yellowstone?

Delays in late June do happen either from people stopping to look at wildlife (sometimes in the middle of the road), heavier traffic from tour busses and RV's, or from wildlife. There are alot of bison (buffalo) on the move this year and you sometimes end up in a bison jam. We enjoy the first and third reasons, and tolerate the second!

We really enjoy the drive from West Yellowstone to Jackson through the parks in the morning. There is usually a lot of wildlife along the Madison River if you leave early enough. Watch for the new crop of elk calves which should be out early in the mornings at that time of year!

5. Re: Jackson Hole Airport to West Yellowstone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, September 29, 2009