We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mom w/ teens,thinking of W. Yellowstone for Easter, Plz Help

california
Level Contributor
167 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Mom w/ teens,thinking of W. Yellowstone for Easter, Plz Help

Hi,

I was just given info about smowmobiling in W. Yellowstone. I thought it would be great after Easter for my teens. The company name I was given is "Two Top Snowmobile" They offer a package and lodging at the Best Western. ( It doesn't look so hot)

Never having done anything like this before, I could really use some advice. Some of the cabin rentals look great online, but who knows...don't know if they offer the packages or not. Also what airport do you fly into?

Thanks for any help,

Mom

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mom w/ teens,thinking of W. Yellowstone for Easter, Plz Help

Dear Mom- You can snowmobile on the trails surrounding West Yellowstone in the three national forests (about 200 miles of groomed trails - grooming usually goes through the end of March.)The trail system is marked extensively. You could look at one day of guided riding. The guide will make sure you are familiar with the trail system, how to operate your snowmobile.

I just wanted to make sure that you knew that the snowmobile trails into Yellowstone Park are closed for the season. You can still snowshoe or cross-country ski on the Riverside Trail (from West Yellowstone's Boundary Street). Yellowstone closed this year for snowmobiling on March 9th.

Generally, packages are a savings when the company owns or partners with a lodging facility and has their own snowmobiles.

Closest airports are Bozeman, Montana or Idaho Falls, ID (both about 110 miles away from West Yellowstone).

Right now, we still have about four feet of snow on the ground in West Yellowstone and about 76" on the trail system (more in the mountains). Over the next week, we are supposed to have another series of snow storms coming through. However, if for some reason, it gets very warm (45 degrees or more) from mid-March through the end of March, the lower trails may get slushy and bumpy. Experienced snowmobilers just ride higher (higher mountain trails and off-trail). I just want you, and your family, to have a good experience!

Mentioned in this post
2. Re: Mom w/ teens,thinking of W. Yellowstone for Easter, Plz Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, September 22, 2009