We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day stay at Yellowstone; need help where to stay, etc

Which West Yellowstone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MN
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
1 day stay at Yellowstone; need help where to stay, etc

We are planning a trip to Glacier National Park in July and when returning home are going to drive to Yellowstone for a one night, two days (will end up being 2 half days with travel).

My question is: Should we stay in West Yellowstone, is this close to such sights as Old Faithful, etc? Or should we stay in the park? We will need to go east for our travel home so is the east side a better side to stay? Looking at the map, it looks like a lot of the geysers, etc are on the west side.

I know this isn't a lot of time but would like to see a few great sights if possible as we head back home. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,891 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day stay at Yellowstone; need help where to stay, etc

I would stay in West Yellowstone, MT. for the night if you cannot get reservations at Old Faithful then make my way by the southern route and see Old Faithful and head toward Cody, Wyoming. You will see a lot of wildlife and Old Faithful is awesome!!

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day stay at Yellowstone; need help where to stay, etc

I agree with CeCe. Stay overnight on the western/central areas of the park - West Yellowstone is a good base or Old Faithful/Snow Lodge. You can spend a day exploring the geyser areas and then the following morning head through the park. (If you are going east on I-90 or I-94, you could go north through Mammoth, Gardiner and Livingston and catch the Interstate.)

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,709 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day stay at Yellowstone; need help where to stay, etc

Finding lodging inside YS park for July will be difficult. Call the lodging company to check for cancellations. Otherwise, stay in West Yellowstone as others have suggested.

MN
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day stay at Yellowstone; need help where to stay, etc

Thanks so much for your help, we have decided on West Yellowstone. I know we won't get to see alot but would like to see Old Faithful and some geyser areas at least. Again, I very much appreciate the advise.

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day stay at Yellowstone; need help where to stay, etc

Since you are limited on time, you might want to read these articles so you can plan your day. It is about driving the lower loop of the interior roads within Yellowstone Park from West Yellowstone through the Old Faithful area up to Canyon over to Norris and back to West. It makes for a full day if you want to do it. But, it will give you an idea of places to visit by car with some short stops and walks.

www.thebigskysun.com/article.cfm…

www.thebigskysun.com/article.cfm…

6. Re: 1 day stay at Yellowstone; need help where to stay, etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, September 21, 2009