We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging IN or OUT of the town?

Which West Yellowstone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mississippi
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging IN or OUT of the town?

Which is more fun and convenient..to stay in a hotel in the town of West Yellowstone or in a cabin outside of the town? Our main purpose of the trip is to snowmobile and we want to be able to keep the snowmobiles overnight and go on the trails outside of YNP. So, if we stay in the cabin, we'll be able to snowmobile a lot, but may not have the conveniences of the town. If we stay in a hotel, we won't have as easy access to trails, but will have restaurants nearby. So, which is better? Is it worth staying in the town to have night life or restaurants? Even if we stay in the cabin wouldn't we be able to get to the town on the snowmobiles?

Another question...is it true that you shouldn't snowmobile in consecutive days? My other half said that we'd be too sore to snowmobile every day, and that we need to find other things to do. In MARCH, what else is there to do in West? Help! We are having a big fight about where to stay.

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
835 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging IN or OUT of the town?

West Yellowstone isn't very big. About all it has are motels, restaurants and souvenier shops. About the only nightlife I saw was a few slot machines in one or two places. The roads are relatively flat in and around the town. It's located right at the entrance to Yellowstone. I think most of the roads in Yellowstone are closed in Winter. You need to call or email the Natl Park Service and see which ones are kept open. I'd check and see how close the cabins are to town. I doubt you can drive a snowmobile on a paved road without snow. Need to check with who you'll rent the snowmobile from.

Will you have a car? If you like old western towns, check out Virginia City and Nevada City, Mont. Virginia City is a real town with stores and it will probably be open. Nevada City is a "rebuilt" old western town with dirt (gravel) streets and period (1800's) houses and stores. There are 35 to 50 buildings. Very interesting if you like that kind of stuff and like to make photos. MAKE SURE THE ROADS AND IT'S OPEN. It's about 85 miles from West Yellowstone (one way). Also Big Sky ski resort is about 50 miles up Hwy 191,

If the West Yellowstone entrance to the Park is closed, it's a long drive to the other entrances. If Yellowstone is open and you can get in, you'll see probably see bison, elk and other animals. If it's closed and you'll skip days snowmobiling, I'd take a couple of good books to read.

Have you already made reservations? I'm not a snowmobiler but there are some great places to snowmobile in Colorado (Vail, Beaver Creek, Winter Park, Keystone, etc) and you feel more like you're in civilization. Also think about Teton Village/Jackson Hole, WY. I don't have anything against West Yellowstone--- in fact I love Yellowstone and the Tetons, but I'm easily bored and can't imagine being cooped-up in West Yellowstone in inclimate weather and nothing to do.

Florida
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging IN or OUT of the town?

Take a look at Two Feathers Cabin. It's right in town and only a block from a snowmobile trail. The cabin is beautiful and the hosts are really great. You can snowmobile all through town to get around.

http://twofeatherscabinlodging.com/

3. Re: Lodging IN or OUT of the town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, September 09, 2009