We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help! Need info about YS!

philadelphia
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Please help! Need info about YS!

Is it a bad idea to go to the yellowstone in late August in terms of the weather? Can anyone also recommend a good lodging place that's close to all the major attractions? Thanks!

philadelphia
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help! Need info about YS!

Another thing....is it true that the park will be closed in the near future for 50 years?

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help! Need info about YS!

I'm not aware of any weather concerns. They're probably easing their way into cooler weather but that can be a good thing. You might be there for either the elk rut or bison rut. I'm pretty sure I read that the bison do their thing in August.

If you want to stay in the park, I'd try for Canyon Village. They have cabins there. Don't know if you can get in this summer. You need to get up early to see the wildlife. Canyon lets you get into Hayden VAlley without much effort. You can get into Lamar Valley early too. Its a bit of a drive into Old Faithful but the time you arrive there isn't much of an issue.

Not aware of the park closing for 50 years for any reason. We've already got reservations for next summer.

We put our two trip reports and several pictures on our web site. You might find some of that information useful in planning a trip and getting some understanding of what is at the park.

www.alandsuejohnson.com/yellowstone_home.htm

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help! Need info about YS!

Hi Phillygo- Where did you hear the park was going to be closed for 50 years? I haven't heard that and that is interesting, since we moved to West Yellowstone to be right next to the park! As far as August weather, my motto has always been the later the better....it is cooler than early August, especially this year which has been an extremely hot and dry one. You may encounter a late afternoon thunderstorm or shower, but they are usually over quickly. If you don't like the weather in one part of the park, just drive 15 minutes and you'll find new weather!

In the park would be most centralized. You will want to start researching what is available right away. One concessionaire handles all the reservations within the park, www.travelyellowstone.com. Late August can still be booked heavily with lodging in the park. Next closest cities to the Park if inside is booked, West Yellowstone or Gardiner, MT.

Mentioned in this post
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
4. Re: Please help! Need info about YS!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, September 05, 2009