We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is staying in Island park, ID a good idea?

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
556 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Is staying in Island park, ID a good idea?

Can locals or epople who have doe it comment on staying in Island park, ID as a base for a couple days seeing Yellowstone? We have 2 nights in the Canyons booked and were thinking of a home in island park for 3 nights also, esp. to see the western half of the park. Is the drive just too long? Ive heard 20 minutes but i ewant to verify with those who have actually done it before we decide. Thanks!!

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is staying in Island park, ID a good idea?

We saw the western side from Canyon. Its closer to Norris than where you'll be. Not a bad drive.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is staying in Island park, ID a good idea?

From Island Park ID to West Yellowstone MT (now it may be shorter from any lodging you are staying at, depending on where it is)

Google maps says 31 miles and 28 minutes.

Mapquest says 28 miles and 29 minutes

Yahoo maps says 28 miles and 27 minutes

At 60 mph that will take approximately 30 minutes. I doubt the speed limit is much higher than that.

Us math teachers can figure stuff pretty good! LOL!!

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is staying in Island park, ID a good idea?

It depends where in Island Park you are staying. Island Park's main street (highway 20) stretches for thirty miles north to south. If you are on the southern end, it is going to be a longer drive!

Tomah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
473 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is staying in Island park, ID a good idea?

We stop at Pond's Lodge in Island Park for lunch on our way home from Yellowstone quite often, and I'd say 25-30 minutes from the West entrance is about right.

Florida
Level Contributor
146 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is staying in Island park, ID a good idea?

We stayed at the timeshare place 2 years ago and really liked it. I could look up the neame if you want me to. It was a relaxing ride into W. Yellowstone everyday. It did not bother us. If I were paying... yeah, WYellowstone is closer and would stay there. We are planning another trip and will stay there again and add a day to a northern park hotel stay. We saw the whole park from ID, but we would like to see the northern part of the park early morning.

Idaho
Level Contributor
225 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is staying in Island park, ID a good idea?

We stayed in Island Park last year - it was fine - except that we were on a motorcycle and when we came out of the park it would have been really nice if we were 'done' in West Yellowstone every evening instead of that last 1/2 hour on the bike. Our little cabin was wonderful though and we had a hot tub on our deck - so each night we had beers and a soak then cooked our own dinner (had a BBQ too) - nice.

7. Re: Is staying in Island park, ID a good idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:23 am, September 13, 2009