We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked Lodging...now must sees!

Which West Yellowstone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
439 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Booked Lodging...now must sees!

Okay we are arriving late at night and staying in Bozeman our first evening. We are then driving into Yellowstone (take North or West entrance?) and will be staying at Moose Creek Cabins for two nights then back up to Bozeman for one more night. Can someone help with must sees or eats while in the area? Thanks!

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked Lodging...now must sees!

I'd come in through the North entrance through Gardiner. Gets you into the park quicker. Either way you go from Mammoth would be a winner. You can head east to Tower/Roosevelt or south toward Madison.

We put a lot of pictures from out there on our website. They might help you figure out must sees. A lot of what we saw, we found by simply driving around and stopping when something caught our eye.

www.AlandSueJohnson.com Click on the Yellowstone link in the text. You can get to the pictures from there.

You need to see

Old Faithful (you knew that)

Upper Geyser Basin (at Old Faithful)

Upper Falls

Lower Falls

Hayden Valley in the early morning or evening

Lamar Valley preferably in the early morning or evening.

Anything else that grabs your attention.

It isn't clear to me how many full days you have but it sounded like 3. If it is, the trip report on our site explains what we did for 3 days. We're going back in June to do it again for a week.

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked Lodging...now must sees!

In addition to what Alan already said:

* Drive slowly along the Madison River from West Yellowstone to Madison Junction. Look for baby bison (buffalo) playing in the tree's. There are also a lot of bison moving along the roads so be cautious when driving, especially around dark. The bald eagles are in their nest (about six miles in). Usually one is sitting on the nest and the other is fishing or sitting in the dead trees across the river.

* Watch for elk. We saw the first new calf last weekend, altho that is a little early. Watch for calves coming out early in the morning and just before dark in the meadows along this road.

* Make sure to take a walk around Fountain Paint Pots and Black Sand Geyser basins. We like these areas just as much as sitting & waiting for Old Faithful.

* If you are up early ( 6 AM) in West Yellowstone, drive over by the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center (across from McDonald's) and listen to the wolves howl...better yet stop in if you come back in late afternoon. The center has 4 wolves and grizzlies.

Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
500 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked Lodging...now must sees!

We stayed at Moose Creek Cabins last week. The room was OK, but our expectations were a little high. We were in the Lewis and Clark Room (Room #1). The furnishing in the rooms were very nice and the bed was one the most comfortable I have ever slept in. There were a couple of downsides. Even with our TV blasting, we could here the guy next door snoring. We aren't sure if the walls were really thin or the guy just snored incredibly loud. The owner was really nice and offered to move us to the Fly Fishing Room. She said we could pack our bags and they would move our stuff for us while we were gone to the park. I recommend the Fly Fishing Room over the Lewis and Clark Room as it is further from the road and just as nice. We elected not to move since we had already unpacked. Another problem was lack of accessible power outlets. There are only a couple in the room and they were all taken by lights, microwave, TV, refrigerator, etc. We ended up having to plug in our labtop in the bathroom. Also, the shower head is really low. If you are tall you will have to bend you head to shower. Also, I don't think there is any air conditioning.

They are constucting a new cabin near the rear. So there is less parking and it may take some maneuvering to park without blocking in another guest. The gas grill they mention on their website sits right in the middle of the crowded parking lot. So I don't think it gets used a lot. I was expecting a picnic area on the property. The only thing that comes close are the tables that sit between the four cabins (nothing near the cabin rooms).

I don't mean to scare you or anything. Just wanted to let you know what to expect. Like I said the rooms are furnished really well. They are clean and the owner is willing to work with you. Request a room away from the road to reduce the road noise you will hear in the morning and you should be fine.

Our favorite meal was at the Old Town Cafe (I think thats the right name). The food prices in the area are high, but that is normal for a tourist area.

4. Re: Booked Lodging...now must sees!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, August 23, 2009