We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gem mining in area

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
26 posts
330 reviews
Save Topic
Gem mining in area

This might be totally subjective, but as I can't find any reviews, is the gem mining area in Alder any good? It's called Red Rock Mine. Or should we just plan on going to Gem Mountain. Or is there another choice that I can't find. I've looked here and on goldwest.visitmt.com. Thanks for any and all insights on this.

5 replies to this topic
Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gem mining in area

I was hoping that someone who had done this would reply, since I haven't done it myself. However, I do know know a number of people who have gone panning for garnets in the Alder area and they say it's a lot of fun. You also have Virginia and Nevada cities nearby, if you're interested in Old West ghost towns.

From looking at the website, Gem City looks more commercialized, which could be a plus or a minus, depending on what you're looking for. That's a beautiful area too.

I don't think you'll regret whichever choice you make - Have fun!

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
26 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gem mining in area

Thanks for your insights! It's tough to judge things from web pages sometimes and I had the sense that the Alder one was a bit too slick. The plan is go from Yellowstone up through Virginia and Nevada Cities and end up in Phillipsberg for a day/night/day. Then on to Flathead Lake/Glacier Park for a couple days. Too ambitious?

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gem mining in area

Sorry - I typed "Gem City" above - but meant "Gem Mountain". Nothing in Alder could be classified as "slick" :-) There are several places along the road there where you can stop to pan for garnets, but I can't remember any of the names - I just see them on my way to the dentist in Sheridan, when I have other things on my mind -lol.

Your plan sounds fine to me. You may be a little rushed getting to Philipsburg, depending on how much time you spend sightseeing along the way, but the days are long in summer, so it shouldn't be a problem. Make sure to stop at the Quake Lake Visitors Center after leaving West Yellowstone. It won't take very long, but is quite interesting.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
26 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gem mining in area

Thanks again, we'll wave as we pass through Ennis on the way to the "Cities".

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gem mining in area

You're very welcome - enjoy your trip!

Reply to: Gem mining in area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Virginia City