We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virginia City in December 2011

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Virginia City in December 2011

Can anyone tell me if Virginia City is open in December? We are visiting Yellowstone and wanted to stop off in Virginia City on the way to Jackson from 1st to 5th December.

Really keen to explore the Gold Mining history and this place seems perfect, if anything is open that is.

If its not open, can anyone suggest another historic town that may be?

We are two sisters from the UK, on a road trip from Gardiner, through Jackson to Colorado.

Thanks ever so much

3 replies to this topic
Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virginia City in December 2011

Virginia City isn't exactly on the way to Jackson. Actually, at that time of year, since you can't drive through the park, there's not a really direct way to get from Gardiner to Jackson.Your best route would probably be through WY - and would be very weather-dependent.

But for your original question - Virginia City is pretty much closed down in the Winter. The shops, museums etc. are all closed already - except for a few that stay open to provide services to the local residents.. You can still walk around and look at the old buildings, but I really wouldn't make a special trip for it at that time of year.

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virginia City in December 2011

Thank you very much, I did think that may be the case. Thats such a shame, the museum looks great.

Do you know of anywhere similar that may be open, or even has historic houses, shops, architecture etc?

We're planning on taking the 191, which I hope is a good enough road for novice snow drivers!

Thanks again

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virginia City in December 2011

I'm still not totally sure of what route you're taking, but you might check out Bozeman. There are a lot of historical homes/architecture etc. there. Here's a link that may be helpful: http://www.pioneermuseum.org/.

Reply to: Virginia City in December 2011
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Virginia City
More Virginia City Topics