We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beartooth Highway

Livermore, Maine
Level Contributor
17 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Beartooth Highway

I'm looking to visit Yellowstone in Mid September next year (2014). I was wondering when does the snow start to close down the roads? I want to go on Beartooth Highway and Chief Joseph when we are there but if the roads are closed I may change my plans to earlier.

3 replies to this topic
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,172 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beartooth Highway

There is an official closure date which is usually mid October, but if a big storm moves thru before that it can close earlier. You may not know until you get close to the date or even the day whether things will be OK.

I encourage you to watch what happens this year and see how it works out. This year with the sequestration causing a decrease in funding for the Park Service (who is responsible for plowing the western side of the highway) my guess (really, totally a guess) is that the first significant snowfall may cause a closure.

No one can predict either the weather or (possibly worse, lol) government funding in advance.

Pam

Edited: 12:17 pm, August 15, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,630 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beartooth Highway

Never can tell about the weather!! We were there on Sept. 1 a few years ago and drove the Beartooth Hwy to Billings from Yellowstone. It starting snowing, icing and was a treacherous drive for us!! They closed the road the next day. So yes check the weather before you plan to drive it.

Mentioned in this post
Billings
Billings
Montana
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,172 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beartooth Highway

When I posted earlier it was from my phone and I couldn't post a link. Here is the official Beartooth Highway page http://beartoothhighway.com/ There is a place to check the weather and also a place to sign up for road reports. I have never done this so don't know how much mail this generates, but it might be good tool to help you monitor this year's Fall weather.

Pam

Reply to: Beartooth Highway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Red Lodge