We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West yellowstone to Cheyenne

Which Red Lodge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Owego, NY
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
West yellowstone to Cheyenne

Need some help. We have two days to get from West Yellowstone to Cheyenne. Traveling with my 4 kids (teens).Thinking of trying to do Lamar valley in am then on to Red Lodge via Beartooth highway. Not sure if we would need to stay in Red Lodge or could press on to Cody for first night. Next day Thermopolis...Casper...and end in Cheyenne. Is this crazy or doable? Thanks

3 replies to this topic
Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West yellowstone to Cheyenne

With a stop in Red Lodge, I think it is possible but the next day will be a long drive. Going from West Yellowstone to Cody via Red Lodge put the long day first.

Instead, consider going up the Beartooth Highway to the Rock Creek Vista. This will have you drive over the Beartooth Pass until you can see all the switchbacks dropping down off the plateau. Turning back here will cause you to backtrack about 30 miles but those miles will be the most scenic part of the Beartooth. Then you can take the Chief Joseph Highway to Cody and either stay the night there or continue on to Thermopolis making the next day's drive more relaxing.

Owego, NY
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West yellowstone to Cheyenne

Thanks RM-MN,

That may just work.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West yellowstone to Cheyenne

That would work, but if you're not going to the Buffalo Bill Center in Cody I think the kids would enjoy Red Lodge more. Cody skippable without the museum (or the rodeo at night -- and you would all be too pooped to go on day one if you even made it there on time).

Spending a night in RL is a great idea. Everyone will be scenic-vista'd-out by that point. The next morning, head south from Red Lodge to Belfry via Bearcreek and on to Thermopolis. Allow at least four hours for a swim!! Pick the place with the biggest waterslides since you have teens.

They will love the Beartooth Highway. Be sure to allow 45 min or so to get out at the summit and look for the Bears Tooth, as well as roam around on the rocks. If you're brave, let them drive - great learning experience! My kids have done it. Red Lodge is a fun town to get out and browse around. There's a great bakery and candy store, and a good book store plus lots of other stuff all on one main street.

Reply to: West yellowstone to Cheyenne
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted