We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beartooth Highway closure question

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Beartooth Highway closure question

Hello,

We're planning a Yosemite/Glacier/Yellowstone (how's that for cool?!) trip later this year.

A couple of summer's ago, we drove the Beartooth Highway, without allocating enough time, and have been wanting to return ever since.

With the understanding that there are a bunch of "if's" involved, is it likely that the late September weather will smile on our plans?

Also, are there any reasonably priced (hoped for max of about $125) river front accommodations in, or near, Red Lodge?

Thanks!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
145 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beartooth Highway closure question

I too would like a reply to this post. I am thinking of driving to Red Lodge at the end of September and driving the Beartooth to the Yellowstone entrance. Is there a good chance the weather will be OK (i.e. no snow) to drive the Beartooth?

P.S. Kamaainawannabe, I don't know about river front, but the Lupine Inn looks good at only $59 a night and highly rated by TripAdvisor reviews.

Mentioned in this post
Lupine Inn
Lupine Inn
202 Reviews
Red Lodge, MT
England
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beartooth Highway closure question

Looks like it's going to be crowded - we plan to travel Beartooth Highway 18th this month, and although always difficult to predict it we are told we have a very good chance of it being open!

In absence of further posts I will let you know!

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Beartooth Highway closure question

The following was in the online Billings Gazette website:

The Beartooth Pass on U.S. Highway 212 was closed Wednesday due to snowy and icy conditions, but could be reopened today if weather improves. The highway was closed at about 9 p.m. south of Red Lodge to the Wyoming state line. Overnight, about 6 inches of snow fell in the higher elevations. Road maintenance crews will be out today working to clear the road, officials said. UPDATE Thursday 10:50 a.m.:

The Beartooth Pass has been reopened but Montana Department of Transportation officials said today that shaded areas could still be icy, and motorists should watch for fallen rocks.

This is the 2nd time this month that the pass has been temporarily closed due to snow. We've had a very unusual wet and cold September this year. I live 60 miles north of the pass and it started raining here yesterday afternoon and through the night. We got an inch so I wasn't surprised to see that the pass was closed this morning.

In typical Montana weather- it is forecasted to be 79 here tomorrow and low 80's next week. I go up over the pass 2-4x a year. This year I've gone 5x and hopefully will get one more time in before it permantly closes which is usually late October.

The pass should be open when you're there but be prepared for winter driving especially if its raining in the lower hills. The state is pretty good about getting the road plowed because they want to keep it open as long as possible so it can be closed in the morning and opened by the afternoon like today.

I've never stayed at hotel/motel in Red Lodge so I can't answer your question about accommodations there. Hopefully, someone else will be able to.

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Montana
Montana
United States
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Beartooth Highway closure question

Since I drive through Red Lodge all the time I started thinking about some of the hotels/motels there. Rock Creek goes through Red Lodge on the east side of the main highway/main street. Most of the hotels are on the main street. I know there are some that at the south end of town that are close to Rock Creek (within sight). The following website has a list of different hotels in and near Red Lodge with links to each one.

www.redlodge.com/3_listings.asp…

Red Lodge Inn, if I remember right, is right across the main street from Rock Creek. Rock Creek Resort is about 5 miles south of Red Lodge as you start getting into the canyon to go up Beartooth Pass. It is right on Rock Creek. The lowest rate on the website was $115. It is a very nice place. Beartooth Hideway Inn and Cabins used to be a Super8. I don't know how close it is to Rock Creek and the website didn't have any rate info but it did have a phone # to call. Pollard Hotel is a historical hotel but its right in the middle of Red Lodge.

Deb

Mentioned in this post
The Red Lodge Inn
The Red Lodge Inn
354 Reviews
Red Lodge, MT
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,045 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beartooth Highway closure question

I stayed in Silver Gate at the southern end of the pass on 8/31 and did not go over the pass the next morning (9/1) because of snow. Because this was forcasted, I drove up to the summit the afternoon of 8/31 in glorious sunshine. Maybe you could consider this.

The weather in Montana in Sept. has been unseasonably cool - maybe it will warm up. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Montana
Montana
United States
Louisiana
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beartooth Highway closure question

We drove the Beartooth Hwy on the 4th and had snow. Made us a little nervous since we never get snow in Louisiana but it was beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Louisiana
Louisiana
United States
7. Re: Beartooth Highway closure question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:31 am, October 05, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Red Lodge