We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a car in Kalispell?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
250 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need a car in Kalispell?

I'm trying to figure out if I need a car to get around Kalispell and see some of the more interesting sights. I'm thinking of staying there for one night before meeting up with Glacier Guides for a 6-day backpacking trip in Glacier National Park.

My flight lands at 1:30 PM, so I'm thinking that I won't even be able to check into a hotel at Kalispell until 2:30 PM, which gives me a few hours to see the sights, shop around Kalispell. Will I need a car? What recommendations do you have for what I should see/go?

Thanks!

Edmonds, WA
Level Contributor
4 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a car in Kalispell?

I was in Kalispell for 3 days last week. It's a small town. We drove around town to buy groceries, ate at a few restaurants, and swam in the hotel pool. Not much to see. It was just a good home base for us to visit Glacier.

Now if you want to see anything outside of town, you definitely need a car. They call Montana "big sky country" for a reason.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a car in Kalispell?

If you were to stay at the Kalispell Grand Hotel in downtown Kalispell you could easily fill your free time with exploring downtown shops, galleries, cafes, and then even head over to walk the historic Eastside of Kalispell. Many other hotel options are in Kalispell, but most of them are not situated in nice walking areas. The Grand Hotel is reasonably priced, has decent rooms, and a nice historic ambience. You will need a taxi reservation to get from FCA to anywhere. Check with whatever hotel you end up with, to see if they have a shuttle bus, or will recommend a taxi service. There is very little taxi service in the Flathead Valley.

3. Re: Do I need a car in Kalispell?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 31, 2011