We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from East Coast

Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Flights from East Coast

Like the Brit-in-NY last year, I'm looking for the best route to get to Montana's Great Falls area to visit a relative this fall. Do flights from the east coast ever fall below the $500 (or $400) mark? Right now, on Amtrak, I could book for about $600 for me and my wife on the Empire Builder, which I've taken before and enjoyed - however, that takes up 4 vacation days just for travel and if I can, I'd like to spend more time in Montana than 'on the road.' Thank you for any help you can give.

Gates of the Mountains
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Cathedral of St. Helena
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites
Mount Helena
Mountains, Ski & Snowboard Areas, Biking Trails, Hiking Trails
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from East Coast

Flights in and out of Montana are so expensive! It's like we are subsidizing Delta, Northwest, and Horizon because there is no competition in our market. They can jack up the prices to whatever they want to make up for the cheaper flights on competitive routes. We do a lot of business and leisure flying, and every once in a while we can find a reasonably priced flight, but I would consider a $500 or $400 flight to the east coast "reasonable". It goes up from there. We have never found that it's worth losing the extra travel days to use the train, or even to drive the 5 hours from Kalispell to Spokane in order to get a Southwest flight. It simply adds additional travel days plus hotel expense.

I rationalize the situation by considering our high airline costs a personal subsidy to the failing airlines. Maybe we can help keep them afloat (Ha ha).

So yes, you could fly to London or Paris for less than getting to Great Falls. And there's not a darn thing we can do about it.

Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from East Coast

I think RiverDays is right, you're not likely to find anything below $500.

I live in Great Falls and am currently trying to find a flight to Portland, OR for less than $380. I'm not having any luck.

Mattituck, NY
Level Contributor
850 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from East Coast

It can be found for as low as $300 from NYC, but I have found that it is cheaper always to fly out of Newark. My husband paid.....$1200!!! for a last minute flight. It was for a funeral- YIKES! It actually makes 500 or 600 look good.

4. Re: Flights from East Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, August 20, 2009