We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Falls vs. Helena - One Night Stay

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Great Falls vs. Helena - One Night Stay

My husband and I will be passing through Montana on our way from Utah to Canada and will need to stay over one night in either Great Falls or Helena. We'll mainly be looking for a place to have dinner, sleep and maybe take a few hours to sight see. Any thoughts on choosing one place versus the other? We are in our 30s and like the outdoors. A place with a walkable hotel/restaurant section or a cool brewery would be great too.

(I'll also post this in the Great Falls forum.)

2 replies to this topic
Helena, Montana
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Falls vs. Helena - One Night Stay

Great Falls has a few hotels on the Missouri River corridor. La Quinta, and Staybridge Suites are essentially on the "Rivers Edge" trail which you could bike or walk. The Trail parrallels the Missouri River with many scenic overlooks over the "falls" .. There are a few little brewery type restaurants in the downtown vicinity near these hotels. Bert and Ernies ( also in Helena) is a eatery-brew pub. - at times live music- blue grass type-acoustic guitar. Also Mackenzie River Pizza, and the Tap House Grill. On Thursday evenings, select areas of downtown host Alive at Five. (Live music, vendors etc.. )

Helena- same thing. you could stay at the Great Northern- near the Last Chance Gulch. Historic Main Street- Pedistrian mall. . Many great wonderful restaurants near by (Silver Star) and many many brewery-pubs and within walking distance. If you are there on a Wednesday? there is Alive at Five, and the whole area is a big street market with live music and vendors.

Hard choice.. depends if you want an hour and half savings on drive time.. keep going to Great Falls, or call it a day and stop over in Helena.

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Falls vs. Helena - One Night Stay

Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like either place will keep us entertained for a quick stopover. I appreciate the feedback and suggestions!

Reply to: Great Falls vs. Helena - One Night Stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted