We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Great Falls

Which Great Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Topic
Driving to Great Falls

Hi, I will be driving to Great Falls from Medora, ND. What is the best route with interesting things to see or do. Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Great Falls, Montana
Level Contributor
186 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Great Falls

Swrtie,

When are you planning this drive??

At this time, flooding in eastern Montana is causing a great deal of problems for residents as well as travelers.

If you can let the forum know when this trip will take place, I'm sure someone can assist you.

Darks

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Great Falls

We are planning the trip for the beginning of July. I hope flooding won't be an issue. How bad is it getting there? It is a big concern here as well because we are on the Missouri. Swrtie

Great Falls, Montana
Level Contributor
186 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Great Falls

We're on the Missouri too!!

The only difference is what we get for river activity on a Monday, doesn't reach you until the following Monday.

But let's assume for the moment that your trip will not be impacted by river problems.

What are your interests? what are the things you like to do on your holidays? And, finally, how long is this vacation?

Darks

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Great Falls

Our flooding is also being controled by all the dams further upriver. We know it's coming but how much is yet to be seen. We will be gone for 2weeks all together but 4 days driving to Wateron. I just picked Great Falls as a stopping place from Medora, Nd. but I am flexible. Mostly interested in scenic drives but good music or wines are a draw also.

Great Falls, Montana
Level Contributor
186 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Great Falls

Well, if you're coming down into Montana from Waterton Park, then you should consider driving through Glacier National Park along the Going to the Sun Highway--listed as one of the top 10 scenic highways in the U.S.

There are several stops and hiking choices along the way and you could easily spend half-day there before heading to Great Falls.

It's only 172 miles from St. Mary (where you leave the park) to Great Falls. About a 4 3/4 hour drive.

It's could be smokin' hot by the time you get here in July, so bring a swim suit for the Electric City Water Park which has one of the very few Flow Rivers in the U.S. where you can surf.

Great Falls also is home to the stunning Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center as well as the world-class C.M. Russell Museum of Western Art.

For current info on the music scene here, go to www.hellogreatfalls.com/commons/music and click on 'Things to Do'.

Restaurants with nice wine lists include Dante's; 3-D; and the Bar-S. (I would probably start at Dante's if I had only one night for dinner here).

Hope this has been some help to you. If you have any other Q's, just ask.

Darks

Helena, Montana
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Great Falls

I don't know why he suggested Waterton National Park?? .. but Medora to Montana would be on I-94 all the way to Forsyth, and then you could take a two lane scenic route through Roundup, Harlowtown, and then up to Highway 3 to Judith Gap then 87 to Great Falls. The flooding is subsiding at this time in most of our communities and roads on this route are open at this time. It should be fine when you make your trip in July. There's a wonderful art musuem in Great Falls as well as a large Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center . There are a couple of events in July in Great Falls- Bluegrass on the Bay as well as the State Fair depending on when you are in Great Falls. Farmers market on Wednesdays and Saturdays, downtown street concerts on Thursday evenings, wonderful hotels, fine restaurants and a gracious friendly community. Dantes is very nice as well as Macaroni Grill, Jakers, and Eddies Supper Club. I prefer those over 3D or Bar S.

Reply to: Driving to Great Falls
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted