We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do and things to eat.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do and things to eat.

We will be in the area for 3 nights in late July. Does anybody have a new favorite restaurant? Know about a good rodeo? or festival? or arts fair? Certainly some of our time will be spent in YSNP, but there is more to life than water spouts and wildlife.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,992 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do and things to eat.

If we don't stay in the park then we stay in West Yellowstone. It has a rodeo several nights per week but I do not think Gardiner does. Gardiner does have whitewater rafting if interested in that.

We have stayed in Gardiner once and did not find a decent choice for restaurants. West Yellowstone does however have many more restaurant choices imo.

Chico Hot Springs is north of Gardiner if you would like a soak in the hot springs.

Good luck!!

USA
Level Contributor
599 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do and things to eat.

Chico also has a nice restaurant. You could also venture further north to Livingston, which will be a little larger and livelier.

USA
Level Contributor
599 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do and things to eat.

Chico also has a nice restaurant. You could also venture further north to Livingston, which will be a little larger and livelier. The Livingston chamber of commerce has an events calendar that shows bull riding and 4H rodeo in late July, but the Livingston Roundup rodeo takes place around July 4th.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do and things to eat.

Not sure we would want to drive as far as Livingstone for a dinner. We'll spend our days in the car touring and are just looking for the local stuff. Chico seems a little easier. We realize this will not be a gourmet trip like last year in Maine with lobster at every dinner. I do want trout, some buffalo and maybe a little elk - which I have never tried. Nightlife for us is a rodeo not a nightclub. A draft beer is fine refreshment although the SO wants vodka and something.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do and things to eat.

No, it won't be a gourmet trip. I think you think Gardiner is bigger than it is. You might be happier in Cody or West.

Chico has a great restaurant, and Anthony Bourdain did a show about Livingston.

We had great food at the sit down restaurant in Canyon, particularly Buffalo as I recall.

Edited: 12:34 pm, June 16, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,992 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do and things to eat.

Very few restaurants in Gardiner- better selection in West Yellowstone and imo the very best food is in Jackson Hole. If staying in JH a couple of nights to tour Tetons check out Gun Barrel for elk and trout.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do and things to eat.

So we accept that it is a small place without a lot of entertainment. Thankfully our B&B provides a strong breakfast. Still, Where do the locals eat? I don't need white table cloths and fancy service, just good food.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,992 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do and things to eat.

The last time we stayed there we ate at this little place called the Raven which was on the screened porch of another business and it was not good- my husband can cook better steaks here at home and way much cheaper. We also had breakfast and lunch at the restaurant attached to the Best Western and it was OK.

Like I said before just not much in Gardiner and that is why we choose to stay in West Yellowstone or in the park.

Billings MT
Level Contributor
72 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do and things to eat.

Twice when we have been in Gardiner at lunchtime we have eaten at the Two Bit Saloon and loved it. Their hamburgers are great and they serve homemade fries. They mostly have hot sandwiches, so that would not be a place to go if you are looking for a full dinner, but the sandwiches and fries that my family had were very filling. There is also a pizza place called Outlaws Pizza. It has been quite a few years since I've eaten there, but at that time it was pretty good and as I recall the prices were reasonable. And for your basic cafe, the Town Cafe isn't too bad.

USA
Level Contributor
599 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do and things to eat.

TA lists seventeen restaurants for Gardiner, so I doubt you'll starve :-)

I recall someone mentioning on the forum that they liked the Silvertip.

Get answers to your questions about Gardiner