We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice

Which East Glacier Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
1 post
Save Topic
advice

I am nearing retirement, need to ESCAPE California. I am conservative, hunt fish and love the outdoors.. What are my chances in Eastern Montana. All advice appreciated. Thanks

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice

I grew up in Montana - moved to San Diego at 37 - got tired of winters. You sound like the perfect Montanan - fishing , hunting, and the outdoors. Don't limit yourself to Eastern Montana though, I personally much prefer Western Montana - prettier for the most part, but it's just a matter of choice. I wish you the best of luck!

miami
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: advice

IF you like snow in september till march,..,..thats the place you want to visit/stay,,,whatever..

me and my friend spent almost 8 months working and livin' up there,,,but only during the summer season.that means june-september....and it IS nice...if i could i would keep coming there every summer....is that right suljetino?

Vermilion, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice

I grew up in Eastern Montana and consider it one of my life's shortcomings that I never made it back there to live. The winters are long and cold and the summers are short and hot. But it is a great place to live, especially if you like the great outdoors. However, even though I lived in eastern Montana, I would recommend the western part of the state, as the scenery is a lot nicer. Coming from California you will appreciate the cost of living and the friendly people. After I spend a week out in Montana, I have to recondition myself when I get back home to not say "hello" to every stranger that I meet on the street.

Montana
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: advice

I grew up in western Montana and live in Great Falls now. Housing is certainly cheaper in eastern Montana than in the western part of the state.

It is cold. We just received 10 inches of snow.

Are you looking for a big town or small town?

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: advice

Nothings like the beginning of spring and 10-12 inches of snow to plow through. Having said that I believe some of us Montanans are trying to express the fact that the West side means west of the Rockies whereas east can mean the east slope of the Rockies or way out in Eastern MT. West tends to be more California like in the forest floors and mostly mountain valleys. A favorite of out of staters and therefore more pricey (at least in our financial pictures). Both sides have fishing and hunting. There are both mountain and prairie streams and of course the Missouri and Yellowstone rivers through long stretches of the state. And as for our weather...not as bad as people think but not like S. California (I'm originally from LA/SF Valley). You might want to get on some web sites for our "larger towns", then look towards smaller towns around them and please come and see the state and talk to the people here or the Chamber of Commerce(s). They can give you a pretty honest idea about what someplace is like.