We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghost towns

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Topic
Ghost towns

We are planning to be in the area in Sept. and planning to go the Beartooth Highway as well as Chief Joseph Hwy. While in the area, we are interested in visiting any ghost towns, old mines, etc. within a day's driving distance of Cooke City, Silvergate, etc. If anyone can help with this info, I would greatly appreciate it. THANKS.

2 replies to this topic
Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ghost towns

The ones I am most familiar with are Virginia and Nevada Cities - but they would be a 3-4hr. drive from Cooke.

This may help you find something a little closer: http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/mt/mt.html

Good Luck!

Billings MT
Level Contributor
72 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ghost towns

The Smith Mine, located at Bearcreek, MT is the site of Montana's worst coal mine disaster. The old mine buildings are still there, along with a roadside marker that explains the disaster. The towns of Bearcreek and Washoe are now ghost towns as a result of the disaster. Go to the website that Paula listed above and click on Carbon County to find out a little more information on the two towns. They are located on Highway 308 between Red Lodge and Belfry. From Cooke City, you can take the Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge to access Highway 308, or you can take the Chief Joseph highway and then when you reach the intersection with Highway 120, head north into Belfry, MT where you can access Highway 308. Either route will take you about 2 hours one way. The most scenic route, in my opinion, is the Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge route, but you could always go one route and return on the other route. You can also find remains of old mines on the Daisy Pass or Lulu Pass roads at Cooke City. These are narrow, dirt roads that are best traveled in a 4-wheel-drive.

Mentioned in this post
Bearcreek
Bearcreek
Montana
Red Lodge
Red Lodge
Montana
Belfry
Belfry
Montana
Reply to: Ghost towns
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted