We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice - RV trip from Yellowstone to Minneapolis via ND

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Advice - RV trip from Yellowstone to Minneapolis via ND

Love some suggestions, please, on the last leg of our RV trip (2 adults, 4 great travelling kids aged 8-15) leaving West Yellowstone and with 4 days to drive back to Minneapolis via North Dakota. Am thinking of staying in Medora, but otherwise not so interested in towns, except maybe Fargo? We're Australian so all things Wild West, American Indian, historic, and nature are of great interest to all. We are travelling through SD Badlands, Black Hills, Deadwood and Cody on way to Yellowstone hence travelling north on return trip. Thank you so much.

Mentioned in this post
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
Fargo
Fargo
North Dakota
The Black Hills
The Black Hills
South Dakota
Deadwood
Deadwood
South Dakota
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
American Computer Museum
History Museums, Specialty Museums
Museum of the Rockies
Natural History Museums, Science Museums, History Museums
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,092 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice - RV trip from Yellowstone to Minneapolis via ND

I see from your previous posts you plan to travel in July. If your kids have an interest in dinosaurs, there is a terrific museum, Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman. http://www.museumoftherockies.org/

There is also Pompey's Pillar which is near Billings. It includes the signature of the explorer, William Clark along with Native American petroglyphs.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Pompeys_Pillar_National_…

I don't know if you would want to divert a ways back down I90 to see the Little Big Horn Battlefield or not.

http://www.nps.gov/libi/index.htm

If you are thinking about Medora, you probably have seen Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

http://www.nps.gov/thro/index.htm

I am glad you have posted on the North Dakota forum as well. There is a big oil boom going on in Eastern Montana and western North Dakota and lodging is difficult. I am not sure about RV sites, but the ND folks can give you guidance on that.

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Museum of the Rockies
Museum of the Rockies
1,382 Reviews
Bozeman, MT
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
Billings
Billings
Montana
Montana
Montana
United States
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice - RV trip from Yellowstone to Minneapolis via ND

Thanks Pam - some new ideas there for me to throw into the mix. I appreciate your help.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
512 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice - RV trip from Yellowstone to Minneapolis via ND

Good advice from "Dobby" on some possible stops. The drive north from West Yellowstone to Bozeman will be the most scenic part of the trip to Minneapolis. Pompey's Pillar is east of Billings just off the freeway and has a nice information building and the only physical remaining evidence of the Lewis and Clark expedition. In the summer of 1806, William Clark carved his name into the side of the rock and it is now covered by a protective glass. More Lewis and Clark historical sites and information should be found in Bismarck, North Dakota. Medora should be a good 8 hour drive from West Yellowstone but allow extra time for various stops. The land gets very flat from Bismarck to well past Fargo so it is very different from the west. If you are traveling in July it can be quite hot. There is another dinosaur museum in Glendive, Montana just off the freeway. If you have extra days to spend before arriving in Minneapolis, you should be able to find a camping spot at one of the nice lakes along the freeway in Minnesota such as the Alexandria or Fergus Falls areas. The drive from Fargo to Minneapolis is only 5 hours.

Mentioned in this post
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
Bismarck
Bismarck
North Dakota
Fargo
Fargo
North Dakota
Montana
Montana
United States
Minnesota
Minnesota
United States
4. Re: Advice - RV trip from Yellowstone to Minneapolis via ND

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:09 am, February 01, 2016
5. Re: Advice - RV trip from Yellowstone to Minneapolis via ND

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 02, 2015