We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any suggestions for overnight tenting in or near Bozeman?

Which Bozeman hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Any suggestions for overnight tenting in or near Bozeman?

We are looking for a campground to tent in overnight in or near Bozeman. Does anyone have suggestions? (The only service we 'need' is toilets and water.) Thanks.

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
632 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any suggestions for overnight tenting in or near Bozeman?

Consider Missouri Headwaters State Park, just west of Bozeman near Three Forks. Sleep where Clark and the Corps of Discovery laid their head. We really enjoyed our time there with the meeting of the three rivers. Lot of history.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,324 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Any suggestions for overnight tenting in or near Bozeman?

Private campgrounds in Bozeman area:

Three Forks

Camp Three Forks (866-523-1773) I 90 Exit 274 then 1 mile south on Hwy287, 20 tent sites

Bozeman

Sunrise Campgroun (587-4797) I 90 Exit 300, left 1/4 mile to campground on right. 15 tent sites

Bozeman KOA (800-562-3036) 8 miles south of Belgrade on hwy191, 50 tent sites

Bear Canyon Campground (587-1575) 3 miles east of Bozeman off I90 exit 313, 20 tent sites

Public Campgrounds near Bozeman:

Three Forks:

Missouri Headwaters State Park 3 miles east of Three Forks on Rt 205, 3 miles N on Rt 286

There are 5 forest service public campgrounds on Hwy 191 between Belgrade and West Yellowstone but most of them start around 26- 48 miles south of Bozeman. If you're interested in any of them I can post the names and where they are located.

Also.....if you're coming down I15 and taking the cut-across from Helena to Three Forks (hwy 287) there will be some campgrounds(private and public) by Canyon Ferry Lake.

Deb

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any suggestions for overnight tenting in or near Bozeman?

There are also campgrounds at Hyalite Canyon south of town. Very easy to get to from town, if you want it as a base camp.

Bozeman KOA doesn't give you that camping feel (it is on a highway), but has a natural hotsprings associated with it. The hotsprings has been in use long before there was a KOA.

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any suggestions for overnight tenting in or near Bozeman?

Thank-you, everyone, for your great info. With these suggestions, we won't be camping out in the city park!!

5. Re: Any suggestions for overnight tenting in or near Bozeman?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, October 09, 2012