We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping at Lewis & Clark or Mis. Headwaters SP?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,166 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Camping at Lewis & Clark or Mis. Headwaters SP?

Our journey to Teton and Yellowstone is expanding. I would like to stay at either Lewis and Clark Caverns or Missouri Headwaters State park campgrounds. Has anyone camped at either? Anyone rented a cabin or tipi there?

Thanks.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping at Lewis & Clark or Mis. Headwaters SP?

We camped at Lewis & Clark Caverns in 2005. The campground has very few trees. It's fine for RV's, but I wouldn't want to be in a lot of the sites if I was in a tent. If my memory is correct, there was one small loop in the trees and the other sites were all out in the open prairie. We arrived late at night, without a reservation so we considered ourselves lucky we got a campsite at all. If you decide to camp there and they take reservations I would recommend you try to reserve a desirable spot in advance.

The campground had flush toilets & showers and they were quite clean. We never had any power at our site, but I think some sites may have had power.

The cabins are on the edge of the campground loops. Our site was adjacent to 2 cabins. They looked small but relatively new. One thing we noticed was that the "quiet time" rules didn't seem to apply to the folks in the cabins. The ones close to us were quite loud all night. Maybe the campground host who was there that year was just a really sound sleeper. lol

One other thing - there were warnings about rattlesnakes being common in the campground. That freaked me out, as rattlesnakes are not very common in most of Canada.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,166 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping at Lewis & Clark or Mis. Headwaters SP?

Thank you for your info. Yikes on the rattlesnakes! Maybe I'll find a place higher in the mountains.

3. Re: Camping at Lewis & Clark or Mis. Headwaters SP?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, September 09, 2009