We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument

Which Billings hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument

Is this worth seeing ? Will be coming from the Southeast and going into Yellowstone Park. Would like to see this more than spending time at Mt . Rushmore. What are your opinions ? Thanks everyone!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,750 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument

If you are a history buff like me you wanted to see everything in SD and Montana. It was on our way from Mt. Rushmore to north entrance of YNP so stopped for an hour of so.

We found Cody, WY and Yellowstone and GTNP to be more interesting.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument

Thanks for your response . Yes, I am interested in history but my main interest is the Revolutionary War.Have seen quite abit on L.BH N.M. it seems to be interesting. Thought it might be something to see.

You mentioned that you enjoyed Cody. Anything specific that would be of interest ?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,750 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument

Cody has the Buffalo Bill Museums, neat western town and the rodeo at night. Also has a western music review at night if not interested in rodeo.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,750 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument

Check out this website for info on musuems, etc.

www.bbhc.org

Helena, Montana
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument

The gun museum in Cody is AMAZING!

Helena, Montana
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument

The Battlefield is amazing too.. I got sideways reading the post about Cody. The Battlefield is a great glipse into the past. It has a great museum, interpretive center, and if you're there on a day when they do the re-enactment -it's terrific. If you are also into re-enactment history; Great Falls has a Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center with a re-enactor weekend with the Corps in June. Having been to Mt.Rushmore, it's basically a big work of art on a mountain, but the Battlefield is certainly more historically compelling.. my vote.. go to Cody, then the Battlefield and YNP. Those would be the Big Three Venues for the Historical Cultural Traveler such as yourself.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument

I am a military history buff and have read all about LBH in many books and on websites. I took the opportunity to visit LBH when I was in the area on the way to Yellowstone. We spent half a day there and could easily have spent much more.

If you know the history and the participants you will probably find it an intensely moving experience, as I did.

Just keep to the paths and beware of the rattlers.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument

Anyone interested in military history might want to check the route of Chief Joseph as well. He turned north just north of Laurel and there is a big battlefield site there. Just a roadside rest, really, but the battle is explained and the terrain tells the tale.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument

If you aren't familiar with the ground, do take the bus tour before you drive it, you'll learn so much more from the Crow guide than you will reading the many plaques en route. See the short movie in the visitor centre, go to the park ranger's presentation and then go with the ranger the on the short trip up to Last Stand Hill.

The official LBH National Park Handbook, available in the shop, is the best short description of the battle I have read.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument

Thanks for all the input ! I appreciate it and will look into these places.