We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Adventure Day Trip

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for Adventure Day Trip

My partner and I fly into Billings on the 24th August in the afternoon, will stay 25th and depart 26th in early afternoon. The original reason for our visit was to see the Carnival of Madness at the Metrapark, which has since been cancelled due to the tornado damage. As disappointed as we are, we have decided to make the best of the situation and I know there is spectacular scenery to be seen in this area. We live in London, UK, so it will be awe inspiring to us.

Anyway, we want to do a long day trip on the 25th. Does anyone have any suggestions, or know a tour company? We probably will have the late afternoon on the 24th as well. Any suggestions for restaurants and entertainment would be greatly appreciated as well!

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Adventure Day Trip

Have you thought about going over Beartooth Pass and into Yellowstone Park. If you're flying in August 24th in the afternoon you could easily drive to Red Lodge, Montana which is a little ski town at the foot of the Beartooth Mountains. Get up early the next morning and drive over Beartooth Pass which is spectacular. With only August 25th do tour the park you won't be able to do a whole lot of it but you could at least enter through Cooke City and the northeast entrance and drive Lamar Valley and on to Mammoth Hot Springs staying in a hotel in Gardiner the night of August 25th. This would set up up for an easy drive back to Billings for your early afternoon departure on August 26th.

Or after going over Beartooth Pass, instead of driving to Cooke City and through the park you can turn on the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway and go down to Cody, Wyoming. Cody has the Buffalo Bill Historical Center which is 5 museums under the same roof. They also have a great nightly rodeo. You could stay there overnight on the 25th and still make it back to Billings on the 26th for your flight out.

As a sidenote, I live just 3/4ths of a mile from where the tornado hit the Metrapark arena. It was quite a storm- I have almost $11,000 worth of damage to my house mostly due to the golf-ball sized hail that came with the storm. I count myself lucky as there were other areas of town with way more damage.

If you have any more questions or need some more information on the above suggestions, please ask away. I go over the Beartooth Pass multiple times each year and absolutely love it along with Yellowstone Park.

Deb

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Adventure Day Trip

If you're not locked in to your lodgings, take Deb's advice and head to Red Lodge on day one, NE entrance Lamar Valley ending up in Cody on day two, then tour Cody and quick zip back to Billings for your flight on day three.

Alternately, just base camp in Red Lodge and do the drive as she suggests down Chief Joseph Highway to Cody. You could come back by way of Bearcreek, location of the Bearcreek Saloon.

It's not the same as a rock tour, but really world class and nothing fuddy-duddy about it. There are many bars in Red Lodge and Montanans know how to have a good time.

In Montana, you will need a car. It is not a public transportation place, though Billings has a bus system.

Don't drive the Beartooth Highway in anything less than clean and sober mental condition, supplemented with caffeine perhaps!

jz_montana
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Adventure Day Trip

Deb's suggestion is something we've done a lot as a day trip and is really an incredible not to be missed trip!

Another one that is more off the beaten path is to go south of Billings into the Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area. You could probably even do this as a half day trip. We went Memorial Day and were astounded that as Billings natives, we had never taken this short trip to see the canyon, the incredible landscapes and lakes and the wild mustangs in the Pryors.

www.nps.gov/bica/planyourvisit/directions.htm

4. Re: Suggestions for Adventure Day Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 01, 2011