We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Ski trip

Which Big Sky hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
120 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
First time Ski trip

We will be visiting big sky at the end of March for our first ski trip. I'd like some practical advice to help me remember to pack the things I may not consider and avoid overpacking things I won't need. We will be bringing our 4 and 5 y/o and I keep hearing over and over again "warm kids are happy kids" so I plan on doing my best to keep them toasty :) We will really be there 3 days. Day of arrival we get there in the evening and departure is early morning.

-base layers x 2 (not cotton)

-fleece pants and pullovers/tops for mid layers (I know you're not supposed to wear the pants under the snow pants, but these are mostly for when not skiing) x several

-snow bibs and jackets/pants for the adults x 1 set

-snow boots x 1

-snow socks x 2

-water resistent mittens for kids with toasty packs to zip into them (?? think that's what they're called)

Is it recommended to get the toasty feet packs to put in the boots??

I am going to bring extra gloves but these will be regular knit gloves that would not be appropriate for the snow, but at least its something

-Gators x 2 (i think that's what they're called, they are the neck warmers)

-kit hats lined in fleece material x 1

does anyone recommend a belaclava for the kids instead of the gator; I hear these can be worn under the helmets

-goggles

we will be renting skis/boots and helmets

Any tips on packing all this??

ALSO re camera equipment:

I have a DSLR camera that is great but a bit bulky; I want to take it but wonder if it'll even be worth it. Maybe just the phone or a smaller/older point and shoot that can fit in my ski jacket???

Want to preserve the memories but also want to keep things simple

THANKS!!

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
120 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time Ski trip

I also plan on labeling the kids stuff because they will be at ski school

So one more question: for the adults I don't know what the where when not skiing. We were told jeans are not appropriate but that's all I own/wear in cold weather here.

I'm trying to find cords but all winter clothing is being replaced by spring now so its slim to none. I'll probably wear regular boots to the airport and only pack the snow boots.

Again thank you so much!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time Ski trip

Jeans are fine après-ski, especially the end of March! A thin pair of long johns (like silk or cuddle duds) can go under jeans if you are the chilly type.

Skiing in Montana and Colorado, I wear thin long johns & mid-weight fleece long johns tops & bottoms; ski pants; fleece vest and/or ultralight down jacket; waterproof-breathable jacket; ski socks; neck gaiters; mittens; helmet.

Late March skiing Red Lodge Mountain & right now skiing Crested Butte, it was 40F today so I left my down layer at home & will be peeling off one of 2 long john layers if this keeps up from now on out.

I can't tell you anything specific to Big Sky, but my ski layers remain fairly consistent wherever we ski, as do my hubby's. Layers are the key, rather than one heavy piece.

Beginning ski school, & I have grand nephews 3 & 5 beginners, are on the magic carpet slowly learning so not as active as intermediate skiers. But they do keep those little ones moving!

You will have a wonderful time! I highly recommend group lessons for adults too to learn or to brush up on skills.

Edited: 4:15 pm, February 25, 2014
3. Re: First time Ski trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 27, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Big Sky