We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sking in Big Sky 2013

Killarney
Level Contributor
95 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Sking in Big Sky 2013

Sorry. I am not familiar with this location and I have a few questions for people who know the area or frequent it.

We had a really prolonged fall with no snow until mid late december this season. So I am a big worried about booking a ski trip for early january.

I was looking at booking a condo in Big Sky between Jan 01- Feb01 2013 and was wondering what the snow conditions are typically for this month.

secondly how long is the commute from Meadow Village to the ski resort?

Thanks in advance and I apologize if they are kind of dumb questions.

USA
Level Contributor
658 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sking in Big Sky 2013

Typically the snow in January is very good. Even with the lower snow pack in early January 2012, Montana probably had the best conditions in the lower 48 at the time. Big Sky has snow making equipment, and Moonlight Basin next door is on the north side of Lone Mountain and therefore holds its snow very well. I am guessing that it is about a 10 minute drive from the Meadow to the Big Sky Resort parking lot. I believe there are also shuttles (free maybe?) that run regularly during the winter between the Meadow and the two ski areas. skylinebus.com

Big Sky, MT
Level Contributor
152 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sking in Big Sky 2013

January is my favorite month to ski. Snow is very reliable, crowds are non existent and rates are low. There is snowmaking capability at both resorts, though I've never seen it used in January.

It's about a 15 minute drive from Meadow Village to the mountain. There is a free shuttle system which runs throughout town and drops you right at the base area. Even if you have a car, this is a great way to go because you don't have to deal with parking, changing into ski boots etc., especially if you have kids along.

Killarney
Level Contributor
95 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sking in Big Sky 2013

Thanks for the info Doc!

actually ended up rounding up a big group and we rented a cabin ski in/ ski out moonlight basin which works out great and negates the commute.

Looking forward to getting down there....the countdown has already begun.

Killarney
Level Contributor
95 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sking in Big Sky 2013

Man what a trip. Love Big Sky!!! Moonlight was good but Big SKy is phenominal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had a nice dump of about 6 + inches in one night which created perfect conditions for two out of our four days. Will def be back!!!

USA
Level Contributor
658 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sking in Big Sky 2013

Glad you enjoyed your Big Sky trip!

6. Re: Sking in Big Sky 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Big Sky