We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there snow ?How is Big Sky for April skiing?

Which Big Sky hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
winnipeg
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Topic
Is there snow ?How is Big Sky for April skiing?

We are considering a trip to Big Sky in the first half of April this year. I am wondering if there is good snow this year? ( I hear there are great conditions in Banff and Panorama, but that the US is having a bit of a snow drought?)

And generally, how is April skiing in Big Sky?

Bozeman, Montana
Level Contributor
314 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there snow ?How is Big Sky for April skiing?

Big Sky closes usually around April 10/11, Spring skiing is fun but I am sure it doesn't compare to Banff.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there snow ?How is Big Sky for April skiing?

I have visited Colorado often but not Big Sky. I have been to Idaho and Montana many times though but not to ski. Skiing in Colorado winds down in March and it's not nearly as much fun as January. But we went skiing there several times in March. Big Sky is further North so it should be OK in April. Montana is a great state. Enjoy your visit.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there snow ?How is Big Sky for April skiing?

In general the skiing in Montana this year has not been good. Red Lodge (Billings area) has had the best snow in the state so far - which NEVER happens. Big Sky is the most "big resort" like in the state. They normally have decent snow and typical of Montana can get some of their best dumps late in the season. Usual closing date is Easter weekend or the week after.

Big Sky, MT
Level Contributor
148 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there snow ?How is Big Sky for April skiing?

Many areas in the US have been experiencing poor snow conditions, with the exception of the Pacific Northwest and Northern Rockies. Washington, Oregon, Montana and Idaho have been receiving decent snow falls. At this time, snowpack in the Gallatin and Madison ranges (the mountains around Big Sky) is running about 75% of average, which is pretty consistent throughout the state. Late season skiing in Montana is generally quite good. It often snows well into May. Big Sky will be open until April 14 this year.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there snow ?How is Big Sky for April skiing?

Thank you for the honest replies and info. Because we are driving, I can afford to wait, and keep my eye on the conditions , then choose between Big Sky and Banff or Panorama. This may end up being a year to stay in Canada.

6. Re: Is there snow ?How is Big Sky for April skiing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:32 am, May 05, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Big Sky