We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vehicle rental

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
122 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
vehicle rental

We will be staying at the Arrowhead condos in Big Sky the last week in January. I know that it is more convenient to have a rental car since we plan to spend a day in Yellowstone and a day snowmobiling the trails around the forests, however we are not used to driving in snow and ice. Does the airport rent 4 wheel drive vehicles, or would we be better off just to deal with the shuttle service? I appreciate any advice anyone has for me.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,775 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vehicle rental

I've driven on snow and ice every winter since I got my license, over 40 years of it. Unless I have to get somewhere and the snow is too deep to get through otherwise, I prefer to drive a front wheel drive car. With good tires, they tend to hold onto the road better than any other vehicle. The big caution is about stopping. It takes as long to stop these as any other vehicle but since they hold the road so well, you tend to drive too fast for stopping or begin stopping too late and may go through an intersection or off the road.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vehicle rental

Yes, rent a front-wheel-drive car. If you can find an all-wheel-drive, like Subaru, even better. Don't get a big heavy 2wd SUV.

And do take the prior advice. The biggest mistake is driving too fast. If the roads are snowy, slow down. Practice stopping and making turns in a parking lot in Bozeman.

I think you could manage without a car, as Karst Stage can take you down to the park and from Bozeman to Big Sky. But having the car gives you a little more freedom.

Mentioned in this post
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vehicle rental

Good advice here already.

I just wanted to make sure that you knew the roads inside Yellowstone will be closed to private vehicles at that time of the year, so you will need to take a tour to see the park.

Have Fun!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
122 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vehicle rental

Thanks for the advice. Do you know if the airport will guarantee a 4 wheel drive vehicle?

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
122 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vehicle rental

Yes, we are planning to take the snowcoach tour of the park. Thanks!

6. Re: vehicle rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, April 12, 2010