We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Some Advice for my Upcoming Visit

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
153 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Need Some Advice for my Upcoming Visit

I will be traveling to Springfield in a few weeks for an interview, and in addition to some "touristy" activities, I'd like advice on what areas of the city I should look at as a potential future resident. Could someone let me know where I should go as a parent with a toddler? I'd like to visit places that locals frequent: parks, ymca, and other kid activity places. I'd also like to check out the local shopping. Where do people tend to head for retail excursions? I'd like to get a feel for what life is like in Springfield. Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

missouri
Destination Expert
for Branson
Level Contributor
780 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Some Advice for my Upcoming Visit

A 'not to miss' restaurant would be Lamert's. They are located just about 10 (?) miles south of Springfield on Hwy 65 at Ozark, Mo. Their menu is large, the food is very tasty and homestyle cooking, the prices are reasonable and the portions are large (and it is all-you-can-eat too!) The only downside to this establishment is that it is such a popular choice that sometimes the wait can be upwards of 1 hour. But definitely worth the wait and everyone should try it at least one time! Also a fun place to eat, very relaxed atmosphere.

missouri
Destination Expert
for Branson
Level Contributor
780 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Some Advice for my Upcoming Visit

Forgeot to mention ---- check out the Bass Pro Shop. Lots of sporting gear/equipment. Also have nice exhibits of wildlife and aquariums. Also a nice wildlife museum on the grounds. Another fun place to visit, even if you aren't into hunting/fishing!

Springfield, Mo
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Some Advice for my Upcoming Visit

Your toddler might like the American National Fish and Wildlife Museum (by Bass Pro). It has lots of fish, otters, birds, etc. My kids have always really enjoyed going there. You might try the Discovery Center (if your child is at least 2). Phelps Grove Park in central(ish) Springfield is one of the best in town.

On where to live, there are lots of nice areas. There is a lot of growth in southwest and southeast Springfield, but many of the schools are overcrowded. You might look in the Field school district. Its got an interesting new curriculum for the elementary school. I have several friends with kids in that school and their kids love it.

There are lots of shopping locations. Battlefield Mall is the biggest shopping area. There are lots of strip malls, too. And Branson (about 35 miles south of Springfield) has several large outlet malls.

Enjoy your visit!

4. Re: Need Some Advice for my Upcoming Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, August 19, 2009