We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great food and fun in May

Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Great food and fun in May

Coming to St Louis for 3 full days end of May with husband and 3yr old and want to get the most out of it. Planning to visit city museum, zoo, grants farm. Any other must do's? Looking for best local burger, micro-brewery (not sure about that with toddler?), breakfast, and any other local favorite must have foods. We're staying in a condo somewhat close to the arch but don't mind a drive. On previous trip (pre-baby) we have done the arch, river tour, botanical garden, science center, zoo, union station, Budweiser tour. Had Pappy's, Crown Candy, Ruth's Chris, Schlafly (didn't actually eat there); all great.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
472 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great food and fun in May

For fun, bring your 3-year old to Citygarden (the downtown sculpture garden). Dress the kid in clothes that can get wet. He will have a blast amongst the sculptures.

For food, The Fountain On Locust. Art Deco decor, good food, ice cream for the 3-year-old, and ice cream martinis for the parents.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,905 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great food and fun in May

The Citygarden is a great call. The Laumeier Sculpture park would be fun on a nice day, but I'd rate it behind the others. The Botanical Garden is fun with kids, although you might not have noticed the last time.

Great burgers at Five Star Burgers, Sugarfired Smokehouse (more known for BBQ), Home Wine Kitchen (upscale for dinner, but fine for Sat. lunch). Bailey's Range and OConnel's Pub also have their fans.

Breakfast: Mud House, Benton Park Cafe, Southwest Diner and Luvy Duvy's.

Local favorites: Toasted Ravioli (the best may be Lombardo's in the Drury Inn/Union Station), gooey butter cake at Park Ave Coffee in Lafayette Square. Broadway Oyster Bar, Blues City Deli, Bogarts and Sauce on the Side are popular lunch spots. We also love Adriana's on the Hill for a sandwich. The Hill is fun to explore on a nice Saturday.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great food and fun in May

Seoul Taco is worth a look!

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
991 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great food and fun in May

Microbreweries -

Schlafly - the largest - original location on Locust "The Taproom" & "Bottleworks" in Maplewood. No problem with kids, as they serve food.

Some others I like - Urban Chestnut (founder used to work for AB and I think invented Shock Top) on Washington. Four Hands - on 8th Street, south of Busch Stadium. Civil Life - in the south side of the city, on Holt Ave. - nice outdoor seating in good weather, serve great sandwiches, great session beers, plus offer half pints. Perennial Artisan Ales - far south city close to the river - specialize in more unusual ingredients.

Not sure about kids - I think I've seen them at Civil Life & Urban Chestnut.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
991 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great food and fun in May

If you're staying in a condo close to the Arch, for breakfast, you would probably be within walking distance of Rooster (1104 Locust) or Blondies (1301 Washington). There is also a St. Louis Bread Co. (Panera) at the corner of 6th & Pine.

US
Level Contributor
267 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great food and fun in May

Have you ever been to the City Museum to understand what it is and is not? I personally would not take a toddler there. I would choose the Magic House instead.

Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great food and fun in May

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

I have never been to city museum, but it sounded really fun, but not for toddler? Saw some reviews from other travelers that weren't so great for magic house?

Food suggestions sound amazing! I can't wait!!

Eureka, Missouri
Level Contributor
301 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great food and fun in May

I agree with reply #6 Magic House rather than City Museum. The Magic House has a toddler friendly area. 95% of the City Museum would be way beyond a toddler's skill level. I'm sure a trip to the zoo would also be in order. You might also consider Grant's Farm with tram ride and animal shows.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,268 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great food and fun in May

FYI, City Museum has an area on the third floor called "Toddler Town" that is designed for children under the age of 6. I don't know what the hours are, but you could contact the museum for details. It was definitely open last Friday evening when we were there, so that might be an option for you if you are interested in visiting.

Rooster is a good choice for breakfast, but get there early. There are not that many breakfast places open on weekends, and the ones that are may be crowded (Rooster certainly was!). We had Saturday dinner at Mango, which was excellent. They have a pre-theater prix fixe menu which is quite reasonably priced, but is only available 4-6 PM on Monday through Saturday.

-JimG

10. Re: Great food and fun in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 28, 2015