We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

last minute weekend trip

Which Saint Louis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
last minute weekend trip

My boyfriend and I decided we are taking a spur of the moment road trip to St. Louis this weekend. Neither of us have ever been but we are excited to do some exploring and just spend the weekend away! Any suggestions on areas of the city to stay? Im leaning towards down town area as it sounds like there are fun things to do there and near by. Are there other areas I should be considering to be close to some live music and drinks at night and things to see during the day? Also we are both foodies and love to check out local places wherever we go so open to suggestions :) thanks for input!

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: last minute weekend trip

I suggest using Priceline for a 3 1/2 star hotel downtown. That said, there is a lot more to STL than just downtown, so be sure and get out to at least two other neightborhoods. Visit the Central West End and Delmar Loop at least - some great spots for foodies. Also note the most lively nightlife downtown is away from the tourist area on Washington Avenue, roughly from 6th to 14th.

A must see for young fun people is the City Museum. Open til 1 AM on Friday and Saturday nights. Read up on it. It's a block off Wash Ave and lots of bars and restaurants are just a couple of blocks away for before or after.

Good live music at three places just south of the Stadium: Broadway Oyster Bar, Beale on Broadway and BB's. Soulard, another mile south, has tons of bars, many with live music on weekends.

We've got TONS of great restaurants. Here are just a few:

Breakfast:

Mud House

Benton Park Cafe

Brasserie

Lunch

Blues City Deli

Adriana's

Bailey's Range

Five Star Burgers

Dinner

Pastaria

The Bridge

Sidney Street

Vin de Set

Tavolo V

These restaurants are all over. I could easily name three times more, bu this will get you started. Let's see what everyone else has to say. BTW, besides Trip Advisor, Yelp and Urbanspoon have tons of info on restaurants.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
472 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: last minute weekend trip

To get an understanding of St. Louis architecture and history, I suggest the eastern Downtown walking tour. Costs $5/person and lasts 2 hours. No need to RSVP, just show up on the Courthouse steps:

EASTERN DOWNTOWN ARCHITECTURAL WALKING TOUR

The tour starts at 10 AM on Saturdays

Meet at the Old Courthouse at 43 North Broadway: steps facing Kiener Plaza

THE EASTERN TOUR INCLUDES:

An umbrella the Pope gave to St. Louis

A building that uses cotton bales for its foundation

The place where the City Fathers walked an elephant across the Mississippi

The location of the firm that designed Busch stadium

The hotel where Cary Grant got the idea to put mints on friend's pillows at night

The largest piece of stainless steel in the world

A building shaped like a sandwich

A cast-iron storefront

A building sitting on top of quicksand

182,000 pieces of terra cotta on a single facade

An old public market turned into a hotel

A painting given to the city by King Louis XVIII

A bank vault turned into a convenience store

A building with 12 corner offices on each floor

The site of the largest indoor gathering ever held in the United States

The first skyscraper in the world

St. Louis MO
Level Contributor
645 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: last minute weekend trip

Should be a good weekend to visit as the Rams and Cardinals are both out of town.

The Forest Park Hot Air Balloon race is Saturday, so that area will be crazy.

TTT nailed down a good list of places to eat.

4. Re: last minute weekend trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, September 21, 2014