We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Louis or Chicago?

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
St Louis or Chicago?

We (mum, dad & girls of 15 & 11) are looking at a visit to Springfield, IL next summer as we love visiting NPS sites, especially those related with famous presidents. If we made that trip we’d combine it with seeing a nearby city – the obvious options being Chicago or St Louis.

Besides going to historic homes and museums, we also like getting to state parks for short hikes, taking scenic drives, seeing baseball games, doing some bargain hunting at the shops and learning about Native American culture. We normally look to keep hotel costs down to $90 per night.

Would Chicago or St Louis be a better fit for us? We could fly direct to Chicago from Cancun, and it seems we wouldn’t need a car to get around the city itself. However, St Louis seems to have plenty of history on offer, as well as many state parks not too far away.

Any feedback from TA members would be very much appreciated.

PS. I’m posting this on both the Chicago & St Louis forums.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: St Louis or Chicago?

You may like the Great River Road for a scenic drive from Alton, IL to Grafton, IL. and Pere Marquette State Park is right there too.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
472 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: St Louis or Chicago?

And one more thing St. Louis has that Chicago does not: a Marmite Museum

http://www.missourimarmitemuseum.org/

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: St Louis or Chicago?

That is truly awesome! We love Marmite. Last time we brought some through the US our suitcase was opened up by TSA. I have no idea what they made of it.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: St Louis or Chicago?

Talking of Chicago being expensive compared to St Louis, I don't know how much this was publicised on US forums. I, for one, had never heard of it before.

tripadvisor.com/InfoCenter-a_ctr.TripIndex_C…

Edited: 11:28 pm, September 20, 2013
15. Re: St Louis or Chicago?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 22, 2014