We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

things to do with young children (6 and under)

Which Saint Louis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
things to do with young children (6 and under)

I am leaving in the morning for St Louis with my friend. Would like to know if there are any things /places to go with the grandchildren

while we are there. They are 6 and 4 years old. I thought that we would come with ideas as opposed to asking her family for suggestions. I want to be creative. My friend is originally from St Louis but has not lived there since 1976. She is familiar with the area from visiting over the years but alot has changed. The grandchildren live in St Lake Louis. Thanks for any suggestions!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,841 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: things to do with young children (6 and under)

You can always take them to the zoo but also consider taking them to Grants Farm. I believe it's free but you may have to pay to park. It is a lovely setting and ideal for children in that age group.

Also consider going to the Science Center and City Museum both are wonderful for kids. They might enjoy the arch as well, especially going to the top and looking out.

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: things to do with young children (6 and under)

thank you for responding. Grants Farm sounds very interesting so I am going to check it out. I like the idea of doing something off the beaten path. I am going to look it up on the internet, hope I find something helpful. can you give me any other info about it?

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,841 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: things to do with young children (6 and under)

It's owned by the Busch family (as in beer). In fact, August Busch did live on the grounds. We saw him years ago come through the property on a horse and wagon team. The clydesdale horses are housed there, some of them anyway. You can tour that part and there is beer tasting in that area as well but you are limited on how much you can have.

There are different animal shows and it seems like there is a tram that takes you from the parking lot to the main gate. There is a petting zoo area and seems like you can feed some of the animals. It's been a long time since I've been there as my kids are grown now but they loved it. It would make for a great day. Hope this helps.

St. Louis,MO
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: things to do with young children (6 and under)

The Magic House is a lot of fun, especially for that age group.

www.magichouse.org

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
534 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: things to do with young children (6 and under)

Purina Farms is nice.

events.purina.com/dogs/farms/index.aspx

Try the Faust Park Butterfly House too.

http://www.butterflyhouse.org/

st. louis, missouri
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: things to do with young children (6 and under)

Magic House

Museum of transportation

Whittle Short line railroad

science center discovery room

zoo

grants farm

butterfly house

pools every where

purina farms

arch

Chuck E Cheese

Boat House

Six Flags

Planetarium

All I do all week!!!

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: things to do with young children (6 and under)

thank you for the suggestion of Grant's Farm. I mentioned it, and we did, in fact go there on Saturday and had a wonderful time! My friend was familiar with the place since she grew up in St Louis, but hasn't been there since she was a kid herself... she is 58. Her daughter who has the children she is in her 30's and she has never gone there either. It was a wonderful day, not too hot. The kids bottle fed the goats, and the train ride was enjoyable as we saw many animals roaming and some were up close. The children ages 6 and 4 yr old twins had fun. It was perfect for their age. It was great for the childrens mom as there were 4 adults to help with three little kids. The park was free and parking was $8. Apparently there is no charge because the park is the Busch family's gift to St Louis. We saw the Clydesdale horses and even had a group photo taken with them. The park was a perfect size not to overwhelming for the kids. It is also pretty shady so even when got humid, it wasn't too uncomfortable.

I wasn't on line much to get the rest of the responses, but at least I have ideas for next time. My friend did take them to the butterfly house yesterday. I opted out of that only because I just had to go to the Arch! I was there in 2000 and never went up it and I was determined to go up it this time. I understand the children also enjoyed the butterfly house, and I enjoyed my trip to the Arch as well.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,841 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: things to do with young children (6 and under)

Glad to hear you enjoyed Grants Farm. It is quite lovely the way the grounds are taken care of and seems to be good for all ages, especially the younger ones.

9. Re: things to do with young children (6 and under)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, August 16, 2009